Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SS/Police unit research 2./V. P.-W.-B.

Article about: Not sure where to put this as but I'll try here first, if the mods feel it would be better suited and would receive more response elsewhere please move to appropriate section. Now, trying to

To the rescue again Appreciate it!

Yes, you are correct... I seem to have accidentally omitted a part from the original source with regards to the second quote. The full one with the omitted part reads:

Die beiden Bataillone dienten vermutlich im Aug. 1944 zur Aufstellung der in Abschnitt 4 erwähnten Polizei Bataillone I-III. Um die jahreswende 1944-45 kamen wieder zwei Bataillone zur aufstellung
    The first, now correctly translated, quote helps explain the FP number in relation to the inscribed 2./ V P.-W.-B. unit issue --- another piece falls into place!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS/Police unit research 2./V. P.-W.-B.
    P
    Many

As ever we are indebted to Andreas. Thanks as always!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

That's better!

"Presumably, in August 1944, the two battalions were used to the form the Police Battalions I - III mentioned in section 4. Around the turn of the year 1944/45, another two battalions were raised."

Invaluable indeed --- thank you very much once again, put into context it makes some real sense now!

Still working on this, slow process...

One thing that's still kind of up in the air is whether the "Wm." abbreviation is actually a rank (Wachtmeister) OR if it could just as likely be an abbreviated first name, in this case possibly Wilhelm/William (often encountered abbreviated as "Wm." back then).

Thoughts?

Quote by slados28 View Post
    One thing that's still kind of up in the air is whether the "Wm." abbreviation is actually a rank (Wachtmeister) OR if it could just as likely be an abbreviated first name, in this case possibly Wilhelm/William (often encountered abbreviated as "Wm." back then).
    I have no doubt that it is Wachtmeister.

Abbreviating "William" as "Wm." is an English-language practice, but I have never, ever seen the name "Wilhelm" abbreviated as "Wm." in German.

Ah, so absolutely not used in the German language then--- thanks!

Another point that has been raised has to do with the meaning of the "V" part of the unit abbreviation. We have already established that it could very well be a Roman numeral (5) but it appears that most if not all sources mentioning this type of Polizei unit puts the battalion number/Roman numeral at the very end of the abbreviation (2./ P.-W.-B. V for example). Maybe it's just a mishap on part of the one writing the abbreviation... or could it have some other meaning that would make sense put in this order?

I have also found references to "Polizei Wachtmeister-Bataillone", which would also most likely abbreviate P W B --- but I have not found any further info on the function or actual history of such units. Any thoughts?

Another point that has been raised has to do with the meaning of the "V" part of the unit abbreviation. We have already established that it could very well be a Roman numeral (5) but it appears that most if not all sources mentioning this type of Polizei unit puts the battalion number/Roman numeral at the very end of the abbreviation (2./ P.-W.-B. V for example). Maybe it's just a mishap on part of the one writing the abbreviation... or could it have some other meaning that would make sense put in this order?
    Personally, I can't think of a another meaningful explanation.

I have also found references to "Polizei Wachtmeister-Bataillone", which would also most likely abbreviate P W B --- but I have not found any further info on the function or actual history of such units.
    These were wartime police battalions that were raised from personnel recruited in the autumn of 1939 (with a cadre of experienced professional policemen).

The battalions in this wave that were formed from younger men (those born in 1918 or later) were referred to as "Anwärter-Bataillone". These were numbered consecutively starting with 251.

The ones formed from the older age group were known as "Wachtmeister-Bataillone" and numbered consecutively starting with 301.

["Anwärter" means candidate. "Wachtmeister" can refer both to an individual rank as well as the whole rank group of all Police NCOs; same as with "Unteroffiziere" in the armed forces.]

The "Anwärter-" and "Wachtmeister-" bits were not a part of the actual unit designations, though. It was simply, for example, "Polizei-Bataillon 303".

Ah, so they were only "so called" Wachtmeisterbataillonen --- not actually designated as such. Kind of what I was able to translate from what little I could find of info on these units as well (so genannten).

So, seems we're still left with a Wachtmeister from the 5th Polizei Wachbataillone then... nice to have this cleared up more or less once and for all, I can now proceed with a bit more certainty. Thank you once again!

Another bit of info that I am wondering about. Google translate, as well as myself, struggles to get this one down to its precise meaning --- any help appreciated.

Die zunächst nach ihren Standorten bezeichneten Pol. wach-Bataillone oder -Kompanien waren seit Sept. 1943 - außer in Berlin - nach den Wehrkreisen 5 zu bezeichnen.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast