Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

SS/Police unit research 2./V. P.-W.-B.

Article about: Not sure where to put this as but I'll try here first, if the mods feel it would be better suited and would receive more response elsewhere please move to appropriate section. Now, trying to

Quote by slados28 View Post
    And, of course, the one below;

"Erf. - Dienststelle PV. Stuttgart, Eins. Bes Empfänger"
    Eins.Bes.Empfänger = Einsatzbesoldungsempfänger, i.e. a person drawing Einsatzbesoldung [active duty pay]. (These men were police reservists on activated status.)

Erf.Dienststelle = Erfassungsdienststelle, roughly translated "registration agency"; the police agency that was in charge of the respective reservist.

PV = Polizeiverwaltung [Police Administration].

As for the nature of these transfers:

The men listed in the document were with the Genesungskompanie [reconvalescents' company], recovering from wounds, injuries or illnesses.

The transfers were to be made after they had recovered and were found to be "kv." [kriegsverwendungsfähig, the highest category of fitness for military duty] again.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS/Police unit research 2./V. P.-W.-B.
    P
    Many

Thank you Andreas for your ceaseless assistance to the knowledge of the forum.

Ah --- awesome! Thank you very much --- it's just these bits and pieces that I need sometimes that need more than just a quick google and you've been more than helpful. Appreciate it as always!

Any idea on the "D. u. G. Abteilung" bit? Appears it's connected to the Kunstgebäude building in Stuttgart as the entire quote is "D. u. G Abt. Stuttgart Kunstgebäude" and it relates to, again, a transfer... although this one from a year before.I will post the document excerpt in a moment.

Ah --- awesome! Thank you very much --- it's just these bits and pieces that I need sometimes that need more than just a quick google and you've been more than helpful. Appreciate it as always!

Any idea on the "D. u. G. Abteilung" bit? Appears it's connected to the Kunstgebäude building in Stuttgart as the entire quote is "D. u. G Abt. Stuttgart Kunstgebäude" and it relates to, again, a transfer... although this one from a year before.I will post the document excerpt in a moment.
    It's not connected to the Kunstgebäude as such; that's simply the name of the building where the unit was housed. (It's at the Schlossplatz in Stuttgart.)

From the information in the new snippet and in context with the previous one, it seems very likely to me that the "D.u.G.-Abteilung" was the reconvalescents' detachment, in which case the second half of the abbreviation would probably mean "... und Genesungsabteilung"]. The first one might be "Dienstunfähigen-" [= persons unfit for duty] or something along those lines.

Ah, so this Adolf Arnold was called back from II. Polizei Lehr Bataillon in Iglau in mid '43 (I'm guessing due to injuries or illness) to report back to the Police district in charge of him, in this case the Police Administration in Stuttgart, and he would then be under the D. u. G. Abt. (Reconvalescent Detachment) situated in the Kunstgebäude building in Stuttgart (May 1943).

He was then declared fit for duty about a year later and was to report to 1./ Pol. Wachbataillon V, in Vaihingen, right outside of Stuttgart (10.7.1944) .

Did I get that about right? I will have to go further back in these documents to see if I can't find more info.

Another thing I've noticed reading all of these documents is that they (PWB/general Polizei personnel) were, contrary to my previous way of thinking, still very much attached and a part of their original "native" German police unit although they were transferred to new units --- SS Polizei divisions and whatnot on/closer to the front.
    It also seems these later war Wachbataillon units supplied a lot more troops to frontline units than I could ever have thought previously, then going by the scarce info written on these battalions which suggested they were hardly sent to the front at all and that these units largely consisted of "old men". Maybe a relative term in relation to the ideal service age but still...

Ah, so this Adolf Arnold was called back from II. Polizei Lehr Bataillon in Iglau in mid '43 (I'm guessing due to injuries or illness) to report back to the Police district in charge of him, in this case the Police Administration in Stuttgart, and he would then be under the D. u. G. Abt. (Reconvalescent Detachment) situated in the Kunstgebäude building in Stuttgart (May 1943).

He was then declared fit for duty about a year later and was to report to 1./ Pol. Wachbataillon V, in Vaihingen, right outside of Stuttgart (10.7.1944) .

Did I get that about right?
    Yes.

Arnold had at some point been seconded [abgeordnet] to the training battalion at Iglau. Due to his being unfit for duty, he was sent back to his Erfassungsdienststelle at Stuttgart where he reported back on 6 May 1943.

Effective of the same day, his secondment was officially terminated ["Aufhebung einer Abordnung"] and he was transferred [versetzt] to the D.u.G.-Abteilung at Stuttgart.

(A secondment [Abordnung] to another unit/agency/duty station is of a temporary nature; a transfer [Versetzung] is permanent.)

Following his recovery, he was transferred to 1./Pol.Wachbatl. V. on 10 July 1944.

Thanks again! Would certainly be lost in all of these military abbreviations without your help --- I now have a much clearer picture of the info pertaining to this particular Wm.

So maybe the nature of the temporary vs. permanent transfers explains some of the seemingly tight bonds I observe with regards to a lot of the fallen policemen from these units, even though they were by that time transferred to other units. Of course, I guess they would still fall under some kind of administration from their Erfassungsdienststelle... so that probably explains a lot as well.

SS/Police unit research 2./V. P.-W.-B.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4