Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

The story of SS Rottenführer Günter Prange

Article about: Very cool, a great little project! Could you perhaps PM me your translators contact details and costs? I might send him a couple of FP that I have.

?

Default Re: The story of SS Rottenführer Günter Prange

Quote by Greenhorn View Post
    Very enjoyable! Pleae keep em comin.

Green
    Thank you. Subscribe to the thread to not miss any letter. I am spending a small fortune on having them translated by a professional but it is well worth it and I am happy to share them with people who appreciates them as much as me. After I have had all letters translated I am going to visit Günters grave in France and have a talk with him.

I am very eager to read Günters letters after D-day to see how they will change in attitude. Note that he ends all letters with "HEIL HITLER!" except the last one, the last letter he sends to hes parents is the only one missing the "HEIL HITLER!" in the end, it's like he gave up hope because he knew what was going to happen.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The story of SS Rottenführer Günter Prange
    P
    Many

?

Default Feldpost 5 - East, 20.11.41

Feldpost 5 - East, 20.11.41

Dear Mother!

Have received your letter with the note paper today. You have found exactly the right thing. A card is too short, and a letter was too long for me. Furthermore a parcel, and above all else, the nice Walsroder newspaper have arrived. I was very pleased, and am very grateful to you.

Sadly I had to find the Uncle Heinrich’s obituary notice in just the first newspaper. I was stricken. I had not been prepared for that. May I please ask you to pass on my belated condolences to Aunt Emma.

Heil Hitler!

Günter
    Last edited by Bill T; 12-06-2012 at 04:13 PM.

?

Default Feldpost 6 - East, 10.12.41

Now the feldpost letters are getting longer and more interesting. I really love the attached poem in this letter, and I can surely relate from my digging expeditions on the east front! Enjoy friends!

Feldpost 6 - East, 10.12.41

Dear Parents!

I am very well, apart from my comrades, the “lice”. One gets used to those, however. At the moment we have plenty to eat. In Rostov there were crates full of butter, sugar, egg yolks, tobacco and more. Unfortunately we could not find any chocolate. We use the tobacco to roll cigarettes made from newspaper.

Yesterday I received Papa’s letter of the 9.11.41, and two parcels from 30.9.41. My best thanks for those. Furthermore I got a 2 parcel from Aunt Martha, and Rudolf Köchling wrote to me. From what he writes things are pretty crazy in Walsrode. Even more crazy here; have just caught another louse again.

Papa asks if I am interested in newspapers. I would be very pleased to receive newspapers a bit more often.

I read about the examination in the Walsroder newspaper. It appears that nobody passed with distinction this time. I am just curious to see whom I will still find with the firm later. I am sure they will all be trying to get away.

What do you think about the conflict between Japan on the one side and England America on the other? It can only suit us. The Japanese will surely deal with it. The losses they inflicted on their opponents are really very considerable.

I will close now with the promise to let you hear from me again soon!

Warm regards to all!

Heil Hitler!

Günter

Attached poem

A Sigh from the Eastern Front
    Our hair became a mane
    Soap became a stranger
    We do not clean our teeth
    And do not change our shirts.
    There’s squelching in shoes and socks
    Dirt sprays into our ears.
    The only things that remain dry
    Are throats and sense of humour.
    Last edited by Bill T; 12-06-2012 at 04:14 PM.

?

I am really enjoying this thread. Yet I cant help but to think about his death everytime I read one of the letters. Looking forward to more and thanks for sharing these

Excellent thread! Commendable of you to have these letters translated and subsequently sharing them with all of us... I think I've said this before but I'd really like to get a bit more into collecting feldpost. These letters gives one a sense of the actual individual to go along with the usual cold and nameless ww2 statistics... looking forward to your next post

Thank you for this!

And what a wonderful poem, surely not a masterpiece but a simple man's attempt to speak of his situation at that time. I must try to commit it to memory. I am sure young Gunter would be astounded to learn his personal poem to his parents would be one day transmitted globally after a silence of over 70 years.

?

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Excellent thread! Commendable of you to have these letters translated and subsequently sharing them with all of us... I think I've said this before but I'd really like to get a bit more into collecting feldpost. These letters gives one a sense of the actual individual to go along with the usual cold and nameless ww2 statistics... looking forward to your next post
    Feldpost collecting is very fun but it can be rather expensive to have the letters translated. I did not get these letters cheap, still I am paying more for the translation then I actually payed for the letters themself. For me I prefer researching personal photo albums because it's "more value for the money", for etc a photo album for 200 euro can take weeks to research but feldpost for that amount goes rather fast to research (if you do not have them translated).

What I like with feldpost is that it is so extremely personal, just to hold one of this letters feels amazing.. To hold a document that this Soldier, this man, has held in hes hands in 1941 and written by hand, sometimes on the field of battle.. Then this has gone trough the third reich military and civil postal service all the way to hes parents in Germany. Just incredible! But maybe that is just me being a sentimental person..

For more of my interesting feldpost threads please see:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/photo...ierski-182883/

My Favorite feldpost letter in my collection - With eastern front flower

Letters are a snap shot in time, just like a photo. To see his handwriting and know he gazed upon the same paper 70 years ago is surreal. I too find myself thinking of his death. He made it so far in the war only to fall close to the end. How Sad and how grieved his parents must have been when they learned of his death. Thank you for sharing these letters.

Absolutely captivating.

Thank you.

?

Default Feldpost 7 - East, 14.1.42

So now it's a new year, 1942! Günter is still in the East.. But living standards seems quite decent. Enjoy.

Feldpost 7 - East, 14.1.42

Dear Parents!

Have received 3 more parcels from you yesterday. You cannot imagine how pleased I was! I ate the salmon this evening. I had already had all my rations. But there is always bread to spare. It tasted so good! Then I drank black tea with it. A veritable feast, I can tell you. I followed that with a good cigarette. Those are surely better than Russian tobacco in Walsrode newspaper. The others in my quarters were just amazed by all the things I brought to light. Chocolate, for example, is a thing the Russians only know from hearsay. The lighter is perfect. Now I will no longer have to get annoyed about Russian matches, of which only 50% per box ever burn.

I just keep asking myself how it can be that a country so richly endowed by nature as Russia can be so impoverished and culturally backward. When you tell the people here about Germany, their mouths and eyes open wide. I am convinced that anyone who used to be a communist in Germany and to babble about the Soviet paradise, and now experiences this Russia, will be cured forever.

Dear parents, I am quite well on the whole. My quarters in the Port of D. . . . . . . . are reasonably good. When I sit at my table and look out of the window I can see the Sea of Azov. We have electric light. Some of us have radio in their quarters. I make do with a portable gramophone for the moment. The only thing missing are “German” records. Nothing can beat German music. So at least one gets something out of the free evenings, because during the day I have to work hard as the squadron mechanic. You may be able to imagine what our vehicles look like given the local roads.

I want to close now and send you warmest regards.

Heil Hitler!

Your Günter

Attachment 431694
    Attachment 431695
    Attachment 431696
    Last edited by Bill T; 12-06-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast