Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Third Reich and Now

Article about: Hi Nick, it was rather funny when we went 4 years ago. We were there doing a tour of Berlin with comrades from our living history group, 2nd Guards. We had earlier visited the sites of SA HQ

Default Re: Third Reich and Now

Hi Nick, it was rather funny when we went 4 years ago. We were there doing a tour of Berlin with comrades from our living history group, 2nd Guards. We had earlier visited the sites of SA HQ, Gestapo HQ, the Air Ministry, all just down the road and all of which had small signs outside giving a very brief history. But oddly enough, at the time (I believe it has changed now) there was nothing to label the Reich Chancellry or the Fuhrerbunker site. A young German couple were obviously looking for the site and they must have heard us talking, so they discretly followed us. After watching us, once we had all done our pics at the site, they quickly took ones of themselves there.

Cheers, Ade.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Third Reich and Now
    P
    Many

Ade, you some great sites!

When I went in early 80s I was in the Army at the time and we went over to the East from Spandau barracks ( weird knowing Hess was languising in the prison there). We went through Checkpoint Charlie in a coach and we all had to be in uniform. It was funny when the Russian guard got on board our coach with his machine gun to check us all out! You now what squaddies are like!!

Our trip around East Berlin was very closely monitored.

Thats why I must go back. When I do I will get some info from you so I dont miss anything!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hi Nick, we fully intend going back to Berlin again. We really enjoyed the city. The only thing we disliked was all the graffiti. It is everywhere! Naturally we went to take in where the Red Army fought and see the various memorials. We went for 3 days. I have a friend who lives there and when I advised him what we intended to see he told me "no chance in 3 days!". However, we got up early each day and were out of the hotel by 8.30am. We did it all by walking and U Bahn or bus. We often got back to the hotel at Midnight. But we did it and saw all we had planned.

Cheers, Ade.

Nice one Ade! Do you have any more photos you can post? Particularly the Gestapo and SS HQs

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hi Nick, here you go, but there is not much to see on these. The buildings are gone and just the foundations remain. The one on the corner is SA HQ.

The glass boards give the info.

The bottom pic shows the cellars of Gestapo HQ with a section of the Berlin Wall in the background and behind that the AM buildings.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Third Reich and Now   Third Reich and Now  

Third Reich and Now  

I have decided to do a thread about our trip:

A trip to Berlin in 2005

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks for the pics!

It must be an eerie feeling stood where all that terror and fear was felt 60 plus years ago!!

I can definately feel another Berlin trip coming on!

Nick

Wolfspear, Many great memories and pics but OH! the helmets that I could have picked up back then, untouched and cheap They were all over the place. I was only 19yrs., if I had only known...... John

Quote by johnhmcgary View Post
    Wolfspear, Many great memories and pics but OH! the helmets that I could have picked up back then, untouched and cheap They were all over the place. I was only 19yrs., if I had only known...... John
    John

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!!

Cheers

Nick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2