Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

U 505 U boat chicago

Article about: Very interesting thread. Thanks to all. The pictures of the sub, the aircraft, and the scenes from Gettysburg are all great.

?

Default U 505 U boat chicago

Hey guys I went to the museum is science and industry in chicago today. I decided to take a lot of photos for the people who have never herd of this submarine before. It was captured in i think 1944 by the Americans off the cost of Africa. Some of the pictures might be bad because I had to use flash because you wouldn't be able to see the items.
    Thanks
    Ryan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U 505 U boat chicago   U 505 U boat chicago  

U 505 U boat chicago   U 505 U boat chicago  

U 505 U boat chicago  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement U 505 U boat chicago
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: U 505 U boat chicago

Cheers mate...

Never heard of a U boat in the states....she looks well looked after!!!

Is that a mock up next to it???

Thanks

Sadly, the U-505 is a mere shadow of it's former self. It was hauled overland to Chicago and set Outside in the elements where it sat for decades. Very little original was left on the boat itself in any case, as it had been vigorously souvenir hunted and stripped(such as the periscope)prior to arriving to the museum. For years, the museum put out the call for parts and pieces from it to be returned and they've been slowly trickling back in over the long years, but the vast majority of the items from it will never be seen again, it's feared. When the museum people Finally realized that it was literally rotting away forever, they decided to take it inside and "pretty it up", but the hull plates themselves are very thin and in many places have simply been puttied and painted over. But, I guess that it is better than cutting it into 3 sections as they did to the sub in England a few years ago.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

More pictures
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U 505 U boat chicago   U 505 U boat chicago  

?

And lastly there is the stuka and spitfire hanging from the wall. The stuka was captured in libia during a raid during ww2.

Wow! Lots of awesome artifacts. Thanks for posting them Ryan.

?

Quote by Doggert Dog View Post
    Wow! Lots of awesome artifacts. Thanks for posting them Ryan.
    Yep no problem.

?

looks better than when i saw it outside rotting away, glad to hear they did restore it

?

At least there is still something left!!!!

It's like the "Amiens gun"... A WW1 railway gun captured intact by Australians...the whole thing was shipped back to Australia nd spent many years complete and intact at Port Wakefield testing grounds.......sadly in the 50's the whole lot was scrapped, they saved the barrel which is at the Australian War Memorial, but they had a complete railway gun!!!!!

Love the Stuka!!!!

?

I wish they would stop scraping! I think there is a railway gun at the arlington proving grounds in virginia. We might go there this summer..
    Ryan

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast