Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

An unusual but moving image

Article about: Full military honours were granted by the Luftwaffe at the funerals of RAF Sergeants Butlin and Holden who were shot down over Jersey in 1943. They took off on an operation to Frankfurt from

Default An unusual but moving image

Full military honours were granted by the Luftwaffe at the funerals of RAF Sergeants Butlin and Holden who were shot down over Jersey in 1943.
    They took off on an operation to Frankfurt from RAF Burn in Yorkshire and ditched 3 miles south west of the Channel islands.

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An unusual but moving image  
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement An unusual but moving image
    P
    Many

Fantastic photo Nick, these sort of pics always make me think just how ridiculous war is.

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    Fantastic photo Nick, these sort of pics always make me think just how ridiculous war is.
    Absolutely Dave

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Great photo!

A friend of mine has his great uncles diary which he kept while a POW of the Germans. It is full of drawings of camp life, programmes for concerts and the like. There are a few photographs of the funeral of one of the prisoners. The camp commandant provided a guard of honour and a salute was fired over the grave. I am hoping to be allowed to scan all the material into my computer with a view to perhaps writing this quite remarkable story. I have never seen a POW collection like it. But those images of the funeral are really something again!

?

Great photo Nick, we also gave burial services to German aircrew shot down over Britain.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An unusual but moving image   An unusual but moving image  

An unusual but moving image   An unusual but moving image  

Respect amonst warriors

great pics Adam

Nick

And from WW1, Baron Von Richtoffen, the Red Baron. We humans truly are a strange mob.An unusual but moving image

Nice that there was still some chivalry!..

Fighter Pilots are a different breed of people...that have held their adversaries talents in high esteem..giving them much honor and respect. The Fighter pilots of the Luftwaffe..never associated themselves with the ruthlessness of the SS. Nice to see these photos of humanity. Regards Larry
    Last edited by Larry C; 09-09-2014 at 08:11 PM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast