Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

An unusual but moving image

Article about: Full military honours were granted by the Luftwaffe at the funerals of RAF Sergeants Butlin and Holden who were shot down over Jersey in 1943. They took off on an operation to Frankfurt from

Cheers pal!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement An unusual but moving image
    P
    Many

theres good and bad in all of us.

Its hard to explain myself and my comments were taken out of context....no disrespect towards the deceased..and was not meant to glorify heinous killings.
    Not all Luftwaffe air pilots should be stereotyped as merciless Nazi German killers....and were no different than the US and Allied pilots....there have been ( "some" or a selected few ) real scumbags on both sides of the fence!!.......as the media back then, forgot to portray that part! War is Hell !

................. Harry said it best .... "theres good and bad in all of us."
    Last edited by Larry C; 09-10-2014 at 12:23 AM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

The Luftwaffe pilots' removal from the "boots-on-the-ground" battlefield naturally distanced themselves from, and eliminated, the personal nature of committing such crimes and led to this portrayal of themselves as some kind of "chivalrous knights of the air".

Back to the heartwarming images. I suspect that there were less "heartwarming" instances in the British press after the allied discoveries at the liberated German concentration and extermination camps!
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Executing a handbrake turn....

...another private photo of the same funeral:

I will do the devil's advocate

Dresden

in that war there was everything, and on all sides.

yes,real scumbags on both sides of the fence!! and innocent victims of them.
    Jedem das Seine

"Whomever sows injustice will reap calamity, and the rod of his fury will fail." Proverbs 22:8

This is really starting to drift guys.....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I think we are completely off track with the original image now....The picture of the little Polish girl is incredibly moving and in some way balances out the original image as it gives a different context to the perception of Airmen..But i think the point has been made with that simple yet moving picture...IMO the original image is a great thought provoking picture,for the reasons of our debate here...equally i think everyone's opinion here is based on good knowledge..Yes there was an element of chivalry at times, but also wanton murder...but i dont think more "horror" photos are going to help in this thread..this is just my opinion

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast