Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A very interesting find!

Article about: Well, I've found quite a bit of stuff at my grandma's house, and I found something else to share. This was her god-father and close family friend. He was a Hauptmann, and I found his death c

?

Default A very interesting find!

Well, I've found quite a bit of stuff at my grandma's house, and I found something else to share. This was her god-father and close family friend. He was a Hauptmann, and I found his death card and a photo. It says on the death card that he was awarded the war merit cross with swords, and a ost front medal. A very interesting find! I thought this was a real nice find.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A very interesting find!
    P
    Many

Always great to have a memento from the family! He was a Hauptmann of the Gendarmerie/Police...It says he died in a hospital in Germany...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Always great to have a memento from the family! He was a Hauptmann of the Gendarmerie/Police...It says he died in a hospital in Germany...
    cheers, Glenn
    It also states he died 70 years ago tomorrow to the day!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Great find!...

?

This was a great find indeed! I wonder what company he commanded? Also, is there a reason why he didn't wear the breast eagle? This baffled me.

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    He was a Hauptmann of the Gendarmerie/Police...It says he died in a hospital in Germany...
    His rank was Bezirkshauptmann der Gendarmerie.

This means he was a long-serving policeman who had originally held the rank of Gendarmerieinspektor or Gendarmerieoberinspektor. The rank class of the Inspektoren could be described as "warrant offficers" as it was above the Meister ranks, but below all commissioned officer ranks.

These ranks were abolished in January 1940. At that time, Gendarmerieinspektoren with more than five years of service in this rank and all Gendarmerieoberinspektoren were appointed to the rank of Bezirkshauptmann der Gendarmerie. Gendarmerieinspektoren with no more than five years of service in this rank were appointed to the rank of Bezirksoberleutnant der Gendarmerie.

Quote by WillC View Post
    I wonder what company he commanded?
    His having been awarded the Ostmedaille means he served in the 1941/42 Winter Campaign. His death in a Lazarett (military/police hospital as a opposed to a civilian one) and his being referred to as a "brave fighter" on the death card also show that he served in some field role.

The wartime Gendarmerie had company-sized field formations operating in the occupied territories, but we don't know whether he actually served as a company commander or in some other function.

Quote by WillC View Post
    This was a great find indeed! I wonder what company he commanded? Also, is there a reason why he didn't wear the breast eagle? This baffled me.
    Policemen didn't wear breast- but sleeve eagles.

?

Better celebrate it with some sort of remembrance! If I was older a toast of beer would do.

?

Thanks for that info HPL, you've helped me a lot with all this, thanks!