Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Visiting Krakow and Auschwitz in june

Article about: Hello there I will be visiting Krakow and Auschwitz in June and was just wondering if any of you have some practical advice about the town, Auschwitz and WW2 items for sale in antique shops

Jan
    ?

Default Re: Visiting Krakow and Auschwitz in june

Some pics from my visit here. Thanks for your great advice that helped making this an unforgettable trip.

https://www.facebook.com/jan.fast/me...1389868&type=3

Best,

Jan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Visiting Krakow and Auschwitz in june
    P
    Many

?

Some fine images Jan.

Jan
    ?

Quote by TIGER88 View Post
    Some fine images Jan.
    Thank you.

Best, Jan

love the place, we went last May and have booked to go June next year for 5 days so much to see and of course maybe pick something up that is genuine, whilst the flea markets sell 95% of fakes i was advised to go out of town to the rural markets where many original items still exist ( or so they say) we will give it a wurl, the city itself is amazing when i told my wife we were going to Poland the look on her face was a picture after arriving she fell in love with it and it is her idea to re visit, well worth the visit and flights £120 return for both of us.

Quote by edelweiss123 View Post
    I cant remember the name, but we visited a small antique shop on the main square above a bar i believe. This may be one of them. We picked up some buttons, shoulder titles and a bayonet from here for a reasonable price.
    Hi sorry i missed your reply, the dealer you visited is neither of the ones i mentioned, the one on Florianska is on a street on the north end of the main square and the dealer on Felicjanek is about a kilometre to the west of the square.
    On my next visit i'll look out for the one you mentioned!...

?

I guess former Jewish Area is full of flea markets and Antique stores. I had one recommended ,,Stary Kufer'' and the street Limanoskiego 42. Like someone already said, there are many of them but selling vintage fakes
    I was in Krakow and in Concentration Camps this summer ( actually 2nd time in my life). Of course Main Square, Wawel Castle, Kazimierz district. But Also Schindler's Factory Musuem. I did it together, in one day with Auschwitz Museum. It was really moving day. Especially if you can realize what those from Schindler's List have avoided and what was the price Schindler paid and that all the money was wort it.
    I booked with the touristic company I found as number one on tripadvisor --> Auschwitz Tours | Krakow Tours & Trips | Wieliczka Salt Mine Tours and it was professionally organised.
    In my opinion places like former concentration camps are incredible warnings and reminders of recent history. Believe me, you will never ever forget this place.

Hi guys, bringing this thread back a bit,
    Going to Krakow on the 22nd May for bank holiday in the U.K., until the 26th (Friday - Tuesday) and was going to book on a trip to Auschwitz with my 3 friends who I’m going with and wondered if anyone here could recommend a tour company/guide? Preferably one who provides the transport and plenty of time when there. Thank you in advance too

Also, has the situation with decent militaria shops changed? As I wouldn’t mind visiting a few if there’s any half decent ones there.

Kindest regards and best wishes
    Harvey

TWS
    ?

I wish I could remember the name of the one I used but it was back in 2001 and the details have escaped me. It included mini-van transport from Krakow to Auschwitz and back and the guide (lady) was good and spoke English well. I also did the "Schindler's List Walking Tour" in Krakow but it consisted of going to the Jewish Center and getting a handbook and then it was DIY from there on. The tourism around this is, from what I hear, much more developed these days. In fact, Schindler's old factory was still just a factory - of electronics when I was there. Couldn't go inside. Just took photos of the front gate. I understand now you can go inside to visit some museum/displays that have been set up in the building. I watched a YouTube video of a teacher taking his class there.

There was an active flea market area near the old town wall but I didn't have any time to search for militaria. I was with a fellow Army officer and his wife and they weren't collectors.

*Edit: I didn't visit Płaszów as I was told there was virtually nothing left to see. I was disappointed to find out later that Amon Goeth's villa was still there and I could have seen it along with it's infamous balcony.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

I went back in 2016, and it was much the same. Minibus pickup from the hotel, with a documentary video and tour guide en route. Guided tour around Auschwitz A, then back onto the minibus to travel to Birkenau. The guided tour portions are unfortunately a little bit rushed, but it's my understanding that you are no longer able to visit Auschwitz A independently. Entry to that site has to be as part of a tour group. Not sure about Birkenau.

Krakow is a lovely city, with lots of historical architecture to take in. The central market square is particularly impressive. If you haven't yet booked a hotel, I can recommend Hotel Ester in Kazimierz, as well as the neighbouring 'Ariel' restaurant, a Jewish cafe with live Klezmer performances. I didn't arrange the trip, so don't know whether the Auschwitz camp tour is something the hotel organizes, but it's worth looking into.

Regards, B.B.

Many thanks for the speedy responses guys, really appreciate it. Krakow Direct has an easy to navigate website and offers private tours so I may book that, depends what the rest of us were thinking. The private tours aren't much more than the group tours, either or will be fine I can imagine. Most of us are skint until payday so still time to decide. I'll look into Plaszow and see if there's a tour there, would be worth seeing. The main reason they picked Krakow was for a knees-up, and a cheap one at that, over bank holiday weekend, so when I found out they'd be interested in doing Auschwitz I was glad. Plaszow I may do on my own, but there's still time until we book it.

Not booked a hotel yet BB but we were planning on getting an apartment for the 4 of us rather than a hotel, but as I say, could change.

Also planning on visiting the castle and Schindlers Factory, time permitting, as well as heading to a shooting range to ay a go with a Kalashnikov. Would have liked to have done the salt mines, but will be hectic once all the other things have been packed in, so shall just see.

Kindest regards and many thanks
    Harvey

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast