Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Waffen-SS Camouflage in period photos

Article about: A thread of period photos of Waffen-SS troops wearing different camouflage patterns during World War Two. Why? Because Camo is Cool and the SS always seemed to get the coolest kit. Secondly

?

There are two Willrich postcards:

SS-Hauptscharführer Ludwig Kepplinger (31.12.1911 – 6.08.1944)

SS-Obersturmführer Fritz Vogt (17.03.1918 - 03.04.1945)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Waffen-SS Camouflage in period photos   Waffen-SS Camouflage in period photos  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Waffen-SS Camouflage in period photos
    P
    Many

This is a much-published photo (I recall seeing it when I was a kid in some book 40+ years ago).
    He was identified as an SS sniper.
    Having seen it again, is the photo legit, or is it a US propaganda photo?:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Waffen-SS Camouflage in period photos  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Yes, I've seen this photo before and the odd thing is I've never seen any other photo of German use of a camouflage pattern like this, it actually looks like a US Marine overalls as seen in the Pacific. The soldiers are apparently British or Canadian, note the No.4 rifle, possibly a pre-D Day training exercise.

Coverall is absolutely an American M1942 Jungle Suit... I have one standing on a torso right in front of my deskas I type. While these were intended for the PTO it is not unthinkable some did end up in the ETO as well.

?

Only one unit the 41 Armoured Infantry from 2nd Armoured Division wore this camo suit in Normandy , it could be that this German liberated one . They wore them initially during the Normandy campaign but many of them dumped them as the only other ones to wear similar camo were the Waffen SS and it caused a lot of blue on blue.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Almost all pics I have seen of this camo in Normandy was of the 2-piece suits. I think this could be a staged shot.

I agree, note the helmet has no cover. By 1944 use of helmet covers by SS was widespread, especially you would think for a sniper. I think it's a training exercise.

MAP
    ?

Did anyone notice the Enfield? Looks like a sniper stock on it. But no scope.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Why do we assume that the man is sniper ? Just because he wears a camo suit . The use of various camo by the Germans in Normandy was widespread in many different combinations so unless there is other evidence it is possible that this isn't a sniper at all .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Because the photo is an old known published one where the guy in camo is identified as a sniper. But it's just as likely to be a training exercise pre D-Day.

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast