Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Waffen ss in the French Foreign Legion

Article about: I have just bought the book Devils Guard by George Elford about a batallion of Waffen ss in the Ferench Foreign Legion. I have tried to research this to see how true to life the book is but

OKW
    ?

Default Re: Waffen ss in the French Foreign Legion

Wolfspear the legion as part of the free french forces were tasked with holding the last defensive box of an allied defensive line which extended from the coast into the desert which was supposed to be impassable from that point on. Rommel did his usual trick of trying to go around the edge of the line only to come across the box held by the legion. This was prior to Alamein. The legion were invited to surrender which they declined to do. The box held out longer than was expected giving allied forces nearer the coast time to retreat otherwise the DAK may have had a clear run to Alexanderia, the canal and ultimately the southern part of Russia. The legion survivors also against expectations broke out and rejoined allied forces further east. The legion was actually part of the Vichy government before, well turning traitor really, and joining the free french and allied camp. Being based in french north africa this was easier than from mainland france. There were Germans serving in the legion and they were given the option of leaving rather than fight their countrymen. Some probably did but others remained. I've read the quote we're legionaires first etc somewhere but couldn't pin it down to a specific book. There are quite a number of legion histories out there, finding a good one can be a bit of a challenge.

2. # ADS

appie
    ?

Some are still alive today. They live in Puyloubier, not very far from here. They used to work in the vinyards, but now they are to old. A mate of mine how is in the Légion Etrangère at this moment has met some when he did the vendange there, but thet are very old, and there are not many left now. It is not true they al come from Alsace region, and I am told thet still have some of the original SS stuff in their rooms, like banners ans fieldcaps.
    They still are loyal to the oath they made back then, stronger then the oath the make to the Légion.
    Still today a lot of words used in the Légion come from German languge.

sorry is not the principal suject to this thread , but you talk about the french SS

i seen this SS french uniform in internet for $6500 this price correct or too high

Pierre
    Last edited by Pierre N; 07-26-2009 at 11:16 PM.

Quote by OKW View Post
    Wolfspear the legion as part of the free french forces were tasked with holding the last defensive box of an allied defensive line which extended from the coast into the desert which was supposed to be impassable from that point on. Rommel did his usual trick of trying to go around the edge of the line only to come across the box held by the legion. This was prior to Alamein. The legion were invited to surrender which they declined to do. The box held out longer than was expected giving allied forces nearer the coast time to retreat otherwise the DAK may have had a clear run to Alexanderia, the canal and ultimately the southern part of Russia. The legion survivors also against expectations broke out and rejoined allied forces further east. The legion was actually part of the Vichy government before, well turning traitor really, and joining the free french and allied camp. Being based in french north africa this was easier than from mainland france. There were Germans serving in the legion and they were given the option of leaving rather than fight their countrymen. Some probably did but others remained. I've read the quote we're legionaires first etc somewhere but couldn't pin it down to a specific book. There are quite a number of legion histories out there, finding a good one can be a bit of a challenge.
    Thanks for that OKW. Its an interesting part of the Africa campaign.

Quote by appie View Post
    Some are still alive today. They live in Puyloubier, not very far from here. They used to work in the vinyards, but now they are to old. A mate of mine how is in the Légion Etrangère at this moment has met some when he did the vendange there, but thet are very old, and there are not many left now. It is not true they al come from Alsace region, and I am told thet still have some of the original SS stuff in their rooms, like banners ans fieldcaps.
    They still are loyal to the oath they made back then, stronger then the oath the make to the Légion.
    Still today a lot of words used in the Légion come from German languge.
    I bet those old guys can tell a story! Thanks for the info

?

I read that book quite a few years ago and it was an excellant read.I always supposed that much of it was true but never as a young lad decided to investigate any further.It seems that the VC referred to them as the Death Brigade??My wife sold the book in a yard sale years ago now I cannot find a book short of forking out some cash.Kevin

Quote by javlin View Post
    I read that book quite a few years ago and it was an excellant read.I always supposed that much of it was true but never as a young lad decided to investigate any further.It seems that the VC referred to them as the Death Brigade??My wife sold the book in a yard sale years ago now I cannot find a book short of forking out some cash.Kevin
    Hi Javlin, I know the book is selling for around £60! I managed to find one on Amazon for £20 brand new.

I cant wait to read it, I am saving it for my hols in a few weeks.

If ever you find any info on waffen SS in FFL please let me know

Cheers

Nick

?

Quote by Pierre N View Post
    sorry is not the principal suject to this thread , but you talk about the french SS

i seen this SS french uniform in internet for $6500 this price correct or too high

Pierre
    I think the SS french uniform is rare an nearly impossible to find. Most probably completed with original insignia which is more easy to find, in that case 6500 is a bit high price
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

kompanie
    ?

I remember the TV series on channel 4 where Bear Grylls Joined the FFL with some non military people to see if they could pass the training program and in that they mentioned that many of the FFL songs were of German origin due to the high numbers of SS joining after the war.

?

Quote by Sandsam View Post
    Hi Paul E

Where do you have this information from ??
    Do you have any names or other information regarding these soldiers ??

Thanks

Ditto

Influx of soldiers from 24. Reg Danmark in La Legion after WWII

Very interesting.

Looking forward to hearing more about this one.

TIA

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast