Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Waffen ss in the French Foreign Legion

Article about: I have just bought the book Devils Guard by George Elford about a batallion of Waffen ss in the Ferench Foreign Legion. I have tried to research this to see how true to life the book is but

Default Re: Waffen ss in the French Foreign Legion

There is a 3rd book in the Devils Guard called unconditional warfare . At the moment they are on e bay for around £22 including postage . I am currently reading the 2nd book .
    There seems to be alot of talk about these books , most noticably by ffl historians saying it didnt happen , I on the other hand belive that the events in the books did happen

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Waffen ss in the French Foreign Legion
    P
    Many

Quote by Ash Riding View Post
    There is a 3rd book in the Devils Guard called unconditional warfare . At the moment they are on e bay for around £22 including postage . I am currently reading the 2nd book .
    There seems to be alot of talk about these books , most noticably by ffl historians saying it didnt happen , I on the other hand belive that the events in the books did happen
    The first book is believable for sure. I cant see any reason for it not to be. It was a brutal war.

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

From what ive read so far in the 2nd book I belive that as well . Its a shame that they are classed as fiction

Hursty
    ?

C, interesting post, I am, ( I think fan is the wrong word) however the Book Devils Guard is singulary the most complete tome on the mind set of a total soldier, to have spocken to "Hans" is a rare privalige, I only wish I could have done the same, the actual book has taken me twenty years of searching to re-aquire since losing my original copy in the 80s. Now to the Crux of this reply, whilst I respect and applaud your decision to keep the mans last name privvy! I believe his name should not be forgotten as have thousands of warriors/soldiers over the millenia, here is a rare opportunity to quantitfy the skill/mind set to do what had to be done to achieve the aim and let's not before the hue and cry begins glorifyor denigrate personal or specific action only THE action undertaken and the result. Over the centuries complete soldiers, greek heroes, common Roman legionaires have fought ,died and been forgotten! WRONG! WRONG wrong. the fighers made the world of today, faults and all ,what it is. consider Sir writing his story, from your post I would say your pretty well connected? let this soldiers and his comrades go into history with fact based epitaph's.

I have noticed that Eric Meyer as jumped on the bandwagon now & brought out 5 books about " Devil's Guard " .
    The real Devils Guard
    Devil's Guard Counterattack
    Devil's Guard Vietnam
    Devil's Guard Blood & Snow
    Iron Cross Amerika .
    I have read The real Devil's Guard book & it feel's to me almost the same as Elford's books , the main caracter in Meyer's book is Sergeant Jurgen Hoffman who was supposedly with Das Reich , ss Sturmbannfuhrer .

Hursty
    ?

Yes I have seen the books but as yet have nor read them, at present i'm looking for the two books in Elridges trilogy. Once I have them I might check out the ersatz versions.

On a diffewrent yet similar tangent, I recently read whilst searching for the Devils Guard that a reprinted version was the most commonly bought by outgoing American Troopers enroute to Afghan!!

Quote by Hursty View Post
    C, interesting post, I am, ( I think fan is the wrong word) however the Book Devils Guard is singulary the most complete tome on the mind set of a total soldier, to have spocken to "Hans" is a rare privalige, I only wish I could have done the same, the actual book has taken me twenty years of searching to re-aquire since losing my original copy in the 80s. Now to the Crux of this reply, whilst I respect and applaud your decision to keep the mans last name privvy! I believe his name should not be forgotten as have thousands of warriors/soldiers over the millenia, here is a rare opportunity to quantitfy the skill/mind set to do what had to be done to achieve the aim and let's not before the hue and cry begins glorifyor denigrate personal or specific action only THE action undertaken and the result. Over the centuries complete soldiers, greek heroes, common Roman legionaires have fought ,died and been forgotten! WRONG! WRONG wrong. the fighers made the world of today, faults and all ,what it is. consider Sir writing his story, from your post I would say your pretty well connected? let this soldiers and his comrades go into history with fact based epitaph's.

Hi Hursty, thank you and I do greatly appreciate your kind words. I got to chat with him a few times bu phone and always before I had to leave for work. Hans is and was a very good person to know such as I knew him to be. I wish I had the same contact with his Wife and sons but I do not. I would have loved to acquire enough info from him to be able to do a book on him as he certainly deserves more than just what was told in Devils Guard. Luckily I still have the one copy I found so long ago. Ive checked a few rare book dealers and ive seen the book listed as high as $1,000--and for a paperback at that. I think Hans would greatly appreciate the attention from this as well as what people think of Elfords book.

I dont know enough other stuff about him off-nahd? but as I just relocated to another City this past week, when I run across a card with his address on it, ill take a stab in the dark and will try writing to his wife and see if she or her Sons would be willing to do anything more? As far as I know, they still live in the same City and I can also do a few searches when I can think of it? and see if I can come up with their addresses too.

I never thought of it but, I wonder if Hans Goebelers widow is willing to say anything on this as she knew I was friends with her late husband as well as Hans-his best friend.

Anyway, I certainly agree with you on Hans and his Comrades and they do deserve to be remembered. If anything comes of this in the future? ill be more than happy to say so here.

Take care--C.

?

just read this book and it was really enjoyable. I know Carl said he has met the fella but sometimes in the book it seemed a bit too 'world-ly' and anachronistic to seem purely fact. There were very many hard to believe moments so I feel it may have been slightly embellished like a novel though it would be great, if true.

Is there more information on either Hans or the author? Google isn't my best friend on this front.

Hello, in the 70's, i met one French officer. He was in 1944 in Alsace against Waffen SS troops in the north of Alsace. After the war, serving in Indochine, two men of his troop were ex Waffen. And they fought at the same place against him in 1944.

Another good book/life story of a Waffen SS sergeant in the FFL who served in North Africa and Indochina after the war is "The Survivor" by John Ehle. It is the true story of Eddy Hukov-a member of the Storm Trooper divisions. An Excellent book-I spoke awhile ago with it's author and he related to me several bits that he hadn't included in it. An Excellent true life book> William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast