Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What unit is this panzer MK IV from?

Article about: This is one of my dads photos, a ww2 6th Armored vet. He was in the maintenance battalion but spent some time in mechanized recon unit too. I don’t think his tank took this one out as when h

Good points about the foliage in the foreground. My dad is sitting by the main gun. I just noticed that it looks like he is wearing a German panzer wrap because of the collars. Also is that a body in the right front foreground with a loose helmet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What unit is this panzer MK IV from?
    P
    Many

It could be a body?

The panzer has damage to the center of the wheels, looks as though the rubber tyres have burnt off?

Between the two middle standing soldiers, you can just see the top of a wheel.

I think your Dad is wearing. US greatcoat, not a German panzer jacke. I agree there does appear to be a oak of legs in the right foreground. A possible gas mask behalter in the centre among the branches. Perhaps a fallen panzer grenadier. Thus the casual gazes of the living ignore the gruesome spectre among the grass. Who can imagine what horrors the interior of this wreck held.

Quote by Mauser202 View Post
    Thanks for they replies. That’s what I had found. If I at least had a location on the pic, maybe the unit could be narrowed down.
    Track your fathers unit down and see where they were? Im still doing that on my KOed Sherman Tank pic that was taken by a German soldier SOMEWHERE not too far away from Bastogne-during the Battle of the bulge. I've still not got all I need-but have greatly narrowed it down due to many clues I've found since. It's a pain in the rear-but I've been researching mine for over 5 years! Everytime I think I have solved it? something else catches my eye-either in the pic-or reading a book on the subject-that muddies the water some. However-I DO believe that I know what unit my tank is from-just can't solve the exact location and is a tad frustrating. The German soldier who took the photo-had lousier handwriting than I do-and that is hard to beat. I want to research his units activities and timelines as well. One thing on mine-is I do believe that "my'' Sherman was captured and used by the Germans at one point-then recaptured and used by our army again. The markings were not changed.

Anyway, research where your dad was first, then find out what German units were where his was at? It makes the war much more personal and interesting. I did that on my dad and an uncle-who ended his combat days on: Hacksaw Ridge.

Quote by Mauser202 View Post
    Good points about the foliage in the foreground. My dad is sitting by the main gun. I just noticed that it looks like he is wearing a German panzer wrap because of the collars. Also is that a body in the right front foreground with a loose helmet?
    Sorry, he's wearing G.I. greatcoat with it open and not buttoned up like the other fellow. He's sitting on it so looks different than the other does. Greatcoats had large "lapels," for lack of better term just now.

Guys, I'm loving the Sherlock Holmes stuff on this one.....Good luck Mr 202 with your quest!

Quote by 24th Panzer Division View Post
    Track your fathers unit down and see where they were? Im still doing that on my KOed Sherman Tank pic that was taken by a German soldier SOMEWHERE not too far away from Bastogne-during the Battle of the bulge. I've still not got all I need-but have greatly narrowed it down due to many clues I've found since. It's a pain in the rear-but I've been researching mine for over 5 years! Everytime I think I have solved it? something else catches my eye-either in the pic-or reading a book on the subject-that muddies the water some. However-I DO believe that I know what unit my tank is from-just can't solve the exact location and is a tad frustrating. The German soldier who took the photo-had lousier handwriting than I do-and that is hard to beat. I want to research his units activities and timelines as well. One thing on mine-is I do believe that "my'' Sherman was captured and used by the Germans at one point-then recaptured and used by our army again. The markings were not changed.

Anyway, research where your dad was first, then find out what German units were where his was at? It makes the war much more personal and interesting. I did that on my dad and an uncle-who ended his combat days on: Hacksaw Ridge.
    Have you posted your knocked out Sherman elsewhere on the forum, don't post it on this thread, but I would like to see your photo please.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Have you posted your knocked out Sherman elsewhere on the forum, don't post it on this thread, but I would like to see your photo please.
    I have not yet, but will do so when I can get it to CD-among other images. I have some good unique images I think others might enjoy. No worry, I had started a thread of sorts on it trying to see if anyone could figure out the name of the town the tank was knocked out at? Handwriting was so poor on the back, so only some letters are readable to me. Anyway, sorry for thread drift. Ill get it done sometime soon-just not sure when?

Anyway, great shot with your father in it, I wish we still had shots of my dad from both WWII and Korea. WWII he was a ball-turret gunner on B-17s-Korea in a Weather Detachment. However, back in 94-95? someone pinched them from our house.

If you have any info on your dads unit(s) I might have something I can share with you concerning the German side?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2