Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

What would they drink?

Article about: In hotter areas it seems that wine was popular.

Default Re: What would they drink?

Beer to a German is like wine is to a Frenchman or an Italian.......unthinkable to be without. Isn't it wine that is considered a Foodstuff in Italy rather than an alcoholic beverage?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What would they drink?
    P
    Many

?

Cody, first of all, I hope that your recovery is both swift and full. Good luck with that!

Now then, regarding your question...

Adolf Hitler did drink alcohol. Only a little, but he did partake. He was known to down a quick shot of something "strong and herbal" before important public addresses, and also enjoyed a traditional Czech beer, along with a traditional hearty Czech meal, when he spent the night in Prague after the occupation of Böhmen und Mähren.

Many German troops had to settle for substitute coffee most of the time, and had a well known nickname for it (that I will not repeat here), which referred to its poor taste. When the chance came along to acquire a few bottles of the local brew, I dare say they had a drop.

Regards,

Carl

Quote by TIGER88 View Post
    Cody, first of all, I hope that your recovery is both swift and full. Good luck with that!

Now then, regarding your question...

Adolf Hitler did drink alcohol. Only a little, but he did partake. He was known to down a quick shot of something "strong and herbal" before important public addresses, and also enjoyed a traditional Czech beer, along with a traditional hearty Czech meal, when he spent the night in Prague after the occupation of Böhmen und Mähren.

Many German troops had to settle for substitute coffee most of the time, and had a well known nickname for it (that I will not repeat here), which referred to its poor taste. When the chance came along to acquire a few bottles of the local brew, I dare say they had a drop.

Regards,

Carl
    The famous 'ersatz Kaffee' !What is the unprintable name Carl ?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Here is a link to a thread with a little more information about the Führer and his tipple or two...

http://www.warrelicsforum.eu/forum/h...book-152175-2/

- - Updated - -

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    The famous 'ersatz Kaffee' !What is the unprintable name Carl ?

Nick
    I'll PM it Nick, it is rather offensive.

Whatever was available, preferably with a certain alcohol percentage

I'm sure clean water was often hard to find... I'm sure these various types of alcohol were the only means of wetting their whistle so to speak.

I think in the closing stages of the war the Russians were rather partial to a bit of V2 rocket fuel!

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    The Germans..Bier !!
    haha... "Das Boot"!

(for anyone that's seen Beerfest )

What would they drink?

Lots of tales of various types of booze being had in all theaters
    over there. For example, I've read that the Italians sold
    some horrible concoctions to American GI's.

Two of my favourite war-time cartoons from Bill Mauldin:

"Go tell th' boys to line up Joe, we got fruit juice fer breakfast.........!"

"Don't startle 'im Joe - it's almost full.........!"
    Attached Images Attached Images What would they drink?  What would they drink? 
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 02-23-2013 at 10:35 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

German soldiers searching for water in Crete... and finally drink coffee or wine and champagne -photos from Crete and Athens, Greece-!!!
    aghs
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What would they drink?   What would they drink?  

What would they drink?   What would they drink?  

What would they drink?  
    Last edited by aghsmac1; 02-23-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast