MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Will anyone do research for hire/payment on here?

Article about: Hi, I was wondering if any of you guys do research for hire on german military records? Thanks, Will.

?

Default Will anyone do research for hire/payment on here?

Hi, I was wondering if any of you guys do research for hire on german military records? Thanks, Will.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Will anyone do research for hire/payment on here?
    P
    Many

I can supply you details of a great researcher. But this type of thing is not cheap.

Westmoreland Research
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Have used Mike from Westmoreland myself and highly recommend his service !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Adrian and Paul, I've been meaning to look into my Grandfather-in-law's Luftwaffe service records for some time but always get side tracked. I know the question is a bit like "Whats the length of a piece of string?" but what is a ballpark figure for this kind of research?

Alex

?

Im wondering the same thing as Alex. Whats the price for Westmoreland research?

Talk to Mike directly. It is a few years since I had work done.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Alex W View Post
    Adrian and Paul, I've been meaning to look into my Grandfather-in-law's Luftwaffe service records for some time but always get side tracked. I know the question is a bit like "Whats the length of a piece of string?" but what is a ballpark figure for this kind of research?

Alex
    If you think that NARA have his files then why not send them a quick email and ask if they do have them (just to get confirmation). If so then you can order the files yourself - a whole Roll (which will include the files of other personnel including your relatives) will cost $120 + postage.
    Or you could contact Marc at digitalhistoryarchive@verizon.net who offers a cheaper way to get copies of the relevant pages that relate specifically to your Grandfather-In-Law but again he may also charge for the leg work of looking for the relevant file/roll as well as the copying.
    Try and get as much information as possible such as the relevant file and roll before approaching a researcher as anything that can cut down their search time can only be a benefit.

German Personnel files can be held in different sections due to the type of file. One type of file is held in Section A3356 with the following Rolls relating to your area...
    Rolls 1323-1454: Luftwaffe officers, non-officers, army reserve and medical personnel
    Rolls 1455-1786: Luftwaffe officials, various inspectors, paymasters, foresters, etc.

As you can see, there are 463 Rolls there that someone would need to look through so any shortcuts would be helpful. What are the first 4 letters of your relatives surname?

I also support the idea of doing as much of the legwork as possible yourself before commissioning a researcher but often it comes to a dead halt at some point and that's when the services of an experienced professional comes in handy. The price I was quoted by Mike at Westmoreland was $40 per hour --- but still trying to prepare as much info as I can before passing the torch over to him, so to speak.

Good luck!

?

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    If you think that NARA have his files then why not send them a quick email and ask if they do have them (just to get confirmation). If so then you can order the files yourself - a whole Roll (which will include the files of other personnel including your relatives) will cost $120 + postage.
    Or you could contact Marc at digitalhistoryarchive@verizon.net who offers a cheaper way to get copies of the relevant pages that relate specifically to your Grandfather-In-Law but again he may also charge for the leg work of looking for the relevant file/roll as well as the copying.
    Try and get as much information as possible such as the relevant file and roll before approaching a researcher as anything that can cut down their search time can only be a benefit.

German Personnel files can be held in different sections due to the type of file. One type of file is held in Section A3356 with the following Rolls relating to your area...
    Rolls 1323-1454: Luftwaffe officers, non-officers, army reserve and medical personnel
    Rolls 1455-1786: Luftwaffe officials, various inspectors, paymasters, foresters, etc.

As you can see, there are 463 Rolls there that someone would need to look through so any shortcuts would be helpful. What are the first 4 letters of your relatives surname?
    His surname was Widawski. All I know about his service is that he was an enlisted man in the Luftwaffe and thats just from a couple of photos. Apparently he was captured by the Americans in 43 but thats just hearsay. Anyone in the family who knew anymore is long since gone.

Alex

Quote by Alex W View Post
    His surname was Widawski. All I know about his service is that he was an enlisted man in the Luftwaffe and thats just from a couple of photos. Apparently he was captured by the Americans in 43 but thats just hearsay. Anyone in the family who knew anymore is long since gone.

Alex
    Your best option might well be the WASt rather than NARA. There is a good chance that NARA won't have anything on him so if that is the route you are wanting to go down it would be best to send them an email just to enquire if they have any files on that surname.
    The NARA files in A3356 that cover that name are...
    ROLL 1446 (5.19) Westhäuser, Hans ― Wiedmann, Georg
    ROLL 1770 (2.468) Weskott, Gustav‐Adolf ― Wiedemann, Ernst

If you have his Date Of Birth then send a request to WASt at https://www.dd-wast.de/en/home.html and explain your relationship to him. Alot of files were destroyed or went missing at the end of the war so there might not be anything available.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast