Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Wormhoudt

Article about: How Mohnke was not investigated and prosecuted for this massacre i'm not sure , especially in light of other incidents , Peiper at Malmedy and Meyer in Normandy !!! i haven't read the above

?

Default Re: Wormhoudt

How Mohnke was not investigated and prosecuted for this massacre i'm not sure , especially in light of other incidents , Peiper at Malmedy and Meyer in Normandy !!! i haven't read the above book does it give any explanation as to why a prosecution didn't happen ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wormhoudt
    P
    Many

The two campaigning authors offer many suggestions why, as it is mainly about the case against him. It also details the campaign by Jeff Rooker the British MP.

I think his saving grace was being captured by the Russians and imprisoned until 1955. It would have been a different story if he was in British hands in 1945!
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Quote by Stickgrenade View Post
    The two campaigning authors offer many suggestions why, as it is mainly about the case against him. It also details the campaign by Jeff Rooker the British MP.

I think his saving grace was being captured by the Russians and imprisoned until 1955. It would have been a different story if he was in British hands in 1945!
    Possibly correct Nick he seems to have come back from Russia and slipped under the radar !! Knochlein who was responsible for Le Paradis was captured by the western allies , tried and hanged , perhaps the fate that should have also befallen Mohnke !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Quote by Paul E View Post
    i haven't read the above book does it give any explanation as to why a prosecution didn't happen ?
    Not really Paul, the book is over twenty years old now and from memory it seemed to be about circumstance. It favoured Mohnke and allowed him to remain below the radar for a long time.
    I think (and again, only from memory) his name was only brought to the fore after some of the veterans had applied for financial grants from their old regiments, were turned down and only after one - who happened to be a survivor of Wormhoudt - wrote to his local MP to fight his case did Mohnke's name become more well known by the authorities. By then he had lived for a long time in Germany, time had passed and for some reason the British didn't seem to have the stomach to be hunting down an old man in another country. There was alot of prevarication and it just didn't happen.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Here is a picture of him in 1988. There is also a picture of him in his garden in the early 80s on the back of my copy of the book. I will take a photo of it and post.
    Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wormhoudt  
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2