Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Soviet unit research site?

Article about: I am very surprised but in Russian internet sources there is no any information about battles near Narva in April, 1944... If you are interesting in commanders of 6th and 117th Rifle Corps o

Default Re: Soviet unit research site?

I am very surprised but in Russian internet sources there is no any information about battles near Narva in April, 1944...
    If you are interesting in commanders of 6th and 117th Rifle Corps of that time I can advise. What kind of equipment of the Soviet troops in that period you are interesting to know?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet unit research site?
    P
    Many

Commander of 6th Rifle Corps since 15th of April, 1944 until June, 1944 was Major-General Anisimov Georgy Ivanovitch (генерал-майор Анисимов, Георгий Иванович).

It is no surprise that you cannot find any accounts of the battles as the Germans decisively won Strachwitz I, Strachwitz II, and at best the Russians could claim a draw from Strachwitz III.

The equipment I am interested in is the heavier equipment like anti-tank guns, self propelled artillery, and any attached armor. Until I saw your answer in the thread here, I had no hope of any information from the Russian side and I am grateful. I have an image of SU-76 self-propelled artillery pieces from Strachwitz II and an image of an SU-122 in Strachwitz III, both no unit symbols or markings to tell me what units they belonged to. I also have an image from Strachwitz II of an anti-tank gun emplacement with a 45mm SiZ-2 1939 anti-tank gun with no markings for unit. I am trying to piece together who was where and what they were using to fight.

If you are interesting in such kind of heavy weapons we need to find not Rifle Corps took part in that battles but tank, artillery Regiments, Brigades, etc. which could support the rifle units.
    Rifle Corps consisted of ordinary (not Guards) Rifle Divisions. In particular they had no self-propelled artillery as normal equipment...

My understanding is that Rifle Divisions had organic anti-tank battalions equipped with the 45 mm anti-tank gun. Here is another link (not the one I originally found) with the suggested equipment:
    The Russian Infantry Division
    45 mm anti-tank gun M1937 (53-K) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, the SU-122 was organized into two regiments on the Volkov front. I suspect that one of these regiments made it into tho Krissavo bridgehead, explaining the presence of the otherwise rare SU-122 assault guns:
    SU-122 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These Wiki sources are very general and hard to apply to specific units, especially as some units were upgraded with better weapons, but others were not. With over 500 Rifle divisions by the end of the war, I want to go from the general information to the specific if I can.

My understanding is that Rifle Divisions had organic anti-tank battalions equipped with the 45 mm anti-tank gun. Here is another link (not the one I originally found) with the suggested equipment:
    The Russian Infantry Division
    45 mm anti-tank gun M1937 (53-K) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, the SU-122 was organized into two regiments on the Volkov front. I suspect that one of these regiments made it into tho Krissavo bridgehead, explaining the presence of the otherwise rare SU-122 assault guns:
    SU-122 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These Wiki sources are very general and hard to apply to specific units, especially as some units were upgraded with better weapons, but others were not. With over 500 Rifle divisions by the end of the war, I want to go from the general information to the specific if I can.

Also, the description of the Rifle Division organization shows the anti-tank battalion:
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...AT%2520(2).pdf

...In particular at 1st of May, 1944 both of the Corps mentioned above were part of 8th Army. Artillery support units which were also a parts of this Army: 81 cannon artillery brigade, 154 corps cannon artillery regiment, 12 Guards, 70, 126, 260, 367, 561 cannon artillery regiments, 882, 884 anti-tank artillery regiments, 409 detached artillery field division, 144, 174, 192, 504, 505 mortar regiments, 18, 30 и 322 Guards mortar regiments, 7 anti-aircraft artillery Division (465, 474, 602, 632 anti-aircraft artillery regiments), 803, 1468 anti-aircraft artillery regiments, 92, 116, 168 detached anti-aircraft artillery division.
    Tank combat units were: 82, 222 detached tank regiments, 806, 1198, 1811 self-propelled artillery regiments.
    Probably the most of these units took part in the battles you are intertesting. Hope it helps.
    But for example I did not find easily type of equipment in these concrete self-propelled artillery regiments. They could be SU-76 or/and SU-122...

Tou are right with anti-tank battalion in normal Rifle Division.
    Do you know numbers of those regiments in Volkhov front equiped with SU-122?

I rechecked the information about Volkhov front. It was dissolved at 15th of February, 1944. So if you are talking about battle in April, 1944 the units took part in that place were included in Leningrad front.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2