Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Women in artillery units?

Article about: Hello, I'm looking for photos of Soviet women in artillery units during WWII. I checked my books and searched the internet but could not find any. To my knowledge there were women serving in

Quote by Bjorn S View Post
    Krylova's book sounds interesting and think I'm going to order it soon. Also Tamara Sycheva's book sounds interesting, but I don't think it is translated in English.
    Krylova's book has some interesting fragments but in general it is not worth buying in my opinion. Too much text is spend on gender differences and the role of women in the Red Army and how the Red Army acted on gender differences between men and women. There are plenty of good fragments and pieces taken from memoires as well but these are not enough to keep the whole book interesting. Just my humble opinion.

A much, much better read is Anna Timofeeva Egorova's memoir "Over fields of fire". A heroine of the Soviet Union who flew a Shturmovik Il-2. This one is very recommended

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Women in artillery units?
    P
    Many

Thanks for your advice Marcel! I'll think I'll order the book you mentioned. Do you know perhaps if "On the Road to Stalingrad: Memoirs of a Woman Machine Gunner" by Zoya Matveyevna Smirnova-Medvedeva is a good read as well?

I have some 30-35 Soviet memoirs now, some which are good and interesting and some less interesting (dull written or perhaps lost in translation). This one I unfortunately have not....yet haha. Will go after it right away. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention!

"Over fields of fire" and "On the Road to Stalingrad"...

Just might have a go at both of them..

I just ordered the two books (tip: do not buy at Amazon, they are way too expensive...try Biblio).
    Sounds like you have a great collection of memoirs Marcel! I have about ten at this moment, but I try to buy one every month. They are very addictive to read! Some books I finish in a day...
    Do you have more interesting titles to share? Or maybe we should start a thread dedicated tot Soviet memoirs?

Here's a few I really enjoyed recently:

Red Star under the Baltic - Victor Korzh
    Red Army sniper - Yevgeni Nikolaev
    From Leningrad to Hungary - Evgenii D. Moniushko
    Red Partisan - Nikolai I Obryn'ba
    Red Star against the swastika - Vasily B. Emilianenko
    On the roads of war - Ivan Yakushin

For more titles I have to check my bookshelves again but these above are a very enjoyable start

I met a former Soviet woman soldier who served in a machine gun and anti tank role. Great answers provided by other forum members - well done! NH

For those interested in online memoirs; Artem Drabkin, author of many memoirs collected on this website many stories from veterans. Very interesting reading material for those who can't get enough

Link: I REMEMBER - I REMEMBER

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    Here's a few I really enjoyed recently:

Red Star under the Baltic - Victor Korzh
    Red Army sniper - Yevgeni Nikolaev
    From Leningrad to Hungary - Evgenii D. Moniushko
    Red Partisan - Nikolai I Obryn'ba
    Red Star against the swastika - Vasily B. Emilianenko
    On the roads of war - Ivan Yakushin

For more titles I have to check my bookshelves again but these above are a very enjoyable start
    Thanks! Sounds like a good start indeed.
    I just finished Yakushin's book recently, which was very interesting and enjoyable. Especially to read that the only equipment he had was a mapcase in which he kept his gun .
    The website you mentioned looks very interesting as well.
    Think I'll have enough to read for the coming months

Since we've been compiling some worthwile memoirs some time ago here's another VERY good one: Red sniper on the eastern front by Joseph Pilyushin. It is for me personally among the better memoirs. You're really dragged into the story, like being there yourself. Highly recommendable!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2