Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1st Pattern F-S no etchings.

Article about: I have added them back to our server. Cheers, Ade.

Default 1st Pattern F-S no etchings.

Hi All, just thought I'd post some photos of one of my 1st pattern daggers (they're not knives as they are exclusively for stabbing ). I got it some time back and from the daughter of someone who had been SOE during WW2. I also got a guilt brass FFL Cross of Lorraine lapel badge which the lady told me was worn to help identify people in his circuit.

The dagger has a 2nd pattern scabbard - not uncommon - and lacks etchings. There are scratch marks on both sides of the ricasso but no sign of it being thinner. I can't see that being due to poor workmanship.

I'd be interested in what people here think of it?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1st Pattern F-S no etchings.   1st Pattern F-S no etchings.  

1st Pattern F-S no etchings.   1st Pattern F-S no etchings.  

1st Pattern F-S no etchings.   1st Pattern F-S no etchings.  

Default Re: 1st Pattern F-S no etchings.

nice knife,I think some one has been busy with a file where makers mark was.

I am certain something was once there too...
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Which begs the question as to why it was done ?

It has scratches but doesn't seem thinner than a normal 1st pattern and yet the scratches would imply a heavy-ish file rasp....... Something like that would take a lot of metal off surely ? Home done by the owner in wartime ? I doubt we will ever know for sure.

I am wondering if maybe this blade was rusty at some point
    and the cleaned up. Still I think it's a good piece.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

I know what you mean Chopperman but there aren't similar marks on the blade. There is also no sign of corosion on the crossguard or handle which I would also expect to see.

It could have been done to remove the country of origin. The problem with such things is that it is improbable that the truth will ever be known. Do you have any more information about the service in SOE? The lapel pin would be good to see. There was a dealer in London some years ago who sold these pins, usually attached to a card, that mentioned SOE connection, but it could really never be proved. In any event, a good and well used example of a 1st Pattern FS.

Clive,
    Glad to see you are still with us.

It's a shame that the original photos have been deleted. It pretty
    much makes this thread useless for any kind of future reference.
    ----- I hate photobucket.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    Clive,

It's a shame that the original photos have been deleted. It pretty
    much makes this thread useless for any kind of future reference.
    ----- I hate photobucket.
    Agreed!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Battlefield Tourist" can you search these photos and (( save them to your computer first )) then repost them here again. The reliability of photo hosting sites are not that great,,and this thread will become useless,, if the photos are not found and reposted. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast