Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

22nd Independent Parachute Company (pathfinders) Fairbairn Sykes knife

Article about: Hi guys, thought I would share my FS knife. This was given to me, by a veteran of the 22nd Independent Parachute Company, about nine years ago. Unfortunately, it is not the knife he dropped

Default 22nd Independent Parachute Company (pathfinders) Fairbairn Sykes knife

Hi guys, thought I would share my FS knife. This was given to me, by a veteran of the 22nd Independent Parachute Company, about nine years ago. Unfortunately, it is not the knife he dropped into Normandy with, but rather it is a 'spare' that he 'acquired' from the store room, while stationed in South East Asia in 1945/46. The initials on the sheath are not the veteran's (presumably the previous owners before it ended up in the store room?). Any information on it most welcome! The pommel is marked with a number '4', otherwise no other markings.

Cheers,

Tom

22nd Independent Parachute Company (pathfinders) Fairbairn Sykes knife22nd Independent Parachute Company (pathfinders) Fairbairn Sykes knife22nd Independent Parachute Company (pathfinders) Fairbairn Sykes knife22nd Independent Parachute Company (pathfinders) Fairbairn Sykes knife22nd Independent Parachute Company (pathfinders) Fairbairn Sykes knife22nd Independent Parachute Company (pathfinders) Fairbairn Sykes knife22nd Independent Parachute Company (pathfinders) Fairbairn Sykes knife22nd Independent Parachute Company (pathfinders) Fairbairn Sykes knife22nd Independent Parachute Company (pathfinders) Fairbairn Sykes knife22nd Independent Parachute Company (pathfinders) Fairbairn Sykes knife22nd Independent Parachute Company (pathfinders) Fairbairn Sykes knife

Very nice Third Pattern knife.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks Ade,

it's still bloody sharp too!

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom, I am fond of any items with direct Veteran provenance. Airborne Pathfinders is a particular interest of mine too.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Very nice knife with good provenance. Where abouts in Asia was he stationed?

I have a feeling he's still alive, really nice bloke with some incredible stories. In fact, Spitace, he was KSLI prior to volunteering for the 6th Airborne/pathfinders. I don't have my files to hand, so can't check, but I have a feeling it was Sumatra or Java disarming Japs?

Ade, I'll try and upload a couple of other things he gave me - K98 bayonet he picked up off a dead German in Normandy and airborne saw that rolls up into a bag.

Cheers,

Tom

?

Hi Tom

It has a 4 cast onto the grip, most WW2 period 3rd pattern daggers have 1-4 cast on them so defo from period you stated as is the scabbard. Nice dagger with good provenance. I always like items to have good interesting provenance it makes them more than just an object.

Cheers neil

Just an observation.......the cross guard on your knife looks more like the one found on the 'ribbed and roped' hilt F-S. The cross guard on 2nd and 3rd pattern F-S knives was more tapered............the r&r version, like yours, had flatter sides and terminated in a semi circle at the ends...........was the different crossguard a feature of IPC version............I mention this because I have a few F-S patt 1 and 2 and have not seen this crossguard on others I've encountered.

?

Quote by Lugerlout View Post
    Just an observation.......the cross guard on your knife looks more like the one found on the 'ribbed and roped' hilt F-S. The cross guard on 2nd and 3rd pattern F-S knives was more tapered............the r&r version, like yours, had flatter sides and terminated in a semi circle at the ends...........was the different crossguard a feature of IPC version............I mention this because I have a few F-S patt 1 and 2 and have not seen this crossguard on others I've encountered.
    I have had a few 3rd patterns with parallel sided crossguards, there far from common though.

Ok thanks jenko.......I know there was often a crossover of parts as wartime expediency its just that so far I've only seen the 'usual' crossguard form......................any chance of pics of your F-S.............I love these knives.

Dont intend to jack your thread Tom, perhaps a seperate post Jenko...............