Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another FS knife

Article about: Gday all, Thought I would post this sterile Third pattern thin blade FS for any idea's. The scabbard and blade look WW2 period to me but the handle I feel is a replacement. It's steel not al

Default Another FS knife

Gday all,
    Thought I would post this sterile Third pattern thin blade FS for any idea's.
    The scabbard and blade look WW2 period to me but the handle I feel is a replacement.
    It's steel not alloy and only has 24 rings as opposed to 27 of the standard alloy Third pattern handles.Could this modification have been done to attempt to re-balance the knife due to the handle change from second to third models(lighter handle made knife blade heavy). I understand this was a problem with the second pattern blades with the third pattern handle but not the third pattern "thin blade" designs with the alloy grip.

This handle style would be easy to machine in steel and simple replacement of a damaged handle is most likely be the answer.The replacement was made quite a while back by the look of the locking nut.

Another FS knifeAnother FS knifeAnother FS knifeAnother FS knifeAnother FS knifeAnother FS knifeAnother FS knife

Can anyone think of any other possibilities for the steel handle?
    Any help would be great.
    Cheers all
    Dave

Default re: Another FS knife

An interesting FS knife. The scabbard looks to be an original 3rd pattern with its tabs still present (a lot were cut off). I'm not sure if the blade is original FS or not, it appears wider (although that could be because of the handle). I have heard that there were complaints that the earlier versions of the knife would slip from the holders grip. It maybe that somebody decided to (period) replicate the later 3rd pattern handle with slightly deeper groves to give more grip. It looks to have been turned by hand due to the variation in the width of the rings. I believe that it in most cases of the handle being changed it was for personal preference rather that the handle being damaged (which I can't imagine would have happened very often without the delicate blade being damaged as well)

rvr
    ?

Interesting FS, Wilkinson did experiment in 1944 with a steel hilted 3th pattern by request of the minister of supply because of complaints form training schools about the lightness and therefore the balance of the late war machine bladed 3th patterns..The steel grip and wider blade should have shifted the balance of the knife more towards the feel of the 2nd pattern.. This one looks a bit like one of those. But as i only have seen pictures of a steel hilted 3th i cant tell for sure.
    I think you should contact Roy Shadbolt on his webside wilkinsonfscollection.com as he is the expert about this very unusual type FS..

Regards, Ruben

rvr
    ?

Actually here is a link to a piece he wrote for knife world last year about the steel hilted FS.

Knife World Article December 2011

Thanks for your reply's gents.
    It certainly looks like the handle arrangement in the link you posted Ruben,thanks for that mate.
    I think I will be contacting Mr Shadbolt.
    Thanks very much fella's I will keep you informed.
    Cheers
    Dave
    Last edited by Thanatos; 08-08-2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Added text

Just to touch base I am in the process of getting a series of detailed images together re this fighting knife.
    Here's a few more from the seller,

Another FS knifeAnother FS knifeAnother FS knifeAnother FS knifeAnother FS knifeAnother FS knife

Mr Shadbolt believes this to be a modern repo from the pic's I supplied.This particular knife appears much older.If it was a copy of the WS prototype it would have to have been made post 2005 (after the original prototpye was found).
    Have a look at the green that has lurched into the blade from the oxidation on the brass rivets on the scabbard and scabbard cap.Not something that occures overnight.Any Idea's gents?
    The scabbard is also interesting,It has a small split up one side and the knife sits proud in it,why because the blade in this example is slightly wider than the pattern three production blade as per the prototype.
    I've also scaled the handle in the mag. article and the handle on this knife with a ruler and they match spot on to a tee.

It's all a little up in the air at the moment hence a new set of detailed images to come.
    By the way it came out of the US.
    Any more idea's or comments will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    Dave

Default Re: Another FS knife

Gday all,
    No idea's re the blades pantina/pitting ?
    Really do need some help on this one.
    Thanks gents
    Dave

Just thought I would give this a bump if that's OK.

12 new images to ponder over.

Another FS knifeAnother FS knifeAnother FS knifeAnother FS knifeAnother FS knifeAnother FS knifeAnother FS knifeAnother FS knifeAnother FS knifeAnother FS knifeAnother FS knifeAnother FS knife

Unfinished and non sharpened typical of a prototype design.

And a link to Roy Shadbolts article in Knife World.

Knife World Article December 2011

Nearly identical pieces in every way.

Maybe Roys isn't the only example of this prototype in existence. The mystery continues.

Again any and all replies would be appreciated on this one.

All the best
    Dave

Gday all.
    No takers.....That's Ok and fully understandable as it's a very contentious one.
    I figured some of the FS collectors would at least find it interesting and comment either way.
    No worries

All the best
    Dave

Hi Dave, sadly I cannot add any info, but I enjoyed seeing the pics.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast