Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

British commando dagger

Article about: Hi, I beg to differ with Time Bandit about the F/S, knives having no markings, the military issue knives have markings across the quillion ( hand guard ) i have an unissued Nato issue knife.

Default Re: British commando dagger

Hi,
    I beg to differ with Time Bandit about the F/S, knives having no markings, the military issue knives have markings across the quillion ( hand guard ) i have an unissued Nato issue knife. It reads
    N.A.T.O. No 4658827 1976 Sheffield England, all military items are stamped with serial numbers
    as is every piece of kit. My knife in on page 6, of Collections & Display. hope you like it.
    dave.

Quote by Panzer 3 View Post
    Hi,
    I beg to differ with Time Bandit about the F/S, knives having no markings, the military issue knives have markings across the quillion ( hand guard ) i have an unissued Nato issue knife. It reads
    N.A.T.O. No 4658827 1976 Sheffield England, all military items are stamped with serial numbers
    as is every piece of kit. My knife in on page 6, of Collections & Display. hope you like it.
    dave.
    Dave I think it's just the current version that is unmarked - just since Eggintons got the contract - not sure when that was though? The older stuff is marked up as you have said - plenty of examples to be seen in the likes of Ron Flooks excellent book British and Commonwealth Military Knives.
    The info I have came from the makers, Eggintons - who claim they are the only official suppliers, though other people supply them unofficially to be sold etc ? I'll see if I can get the letter from them scanned and I'll post the info up. I think Eggingtons also do a version with the NSN etc on it but from what they said this is not the one they actually supply 'officially'?
    I don't really collect these knives as such (I usually just stick with Clasp/Jack Knives) but when this one turned up, brand new and still in its box complete with the MOD stores labels on I couldn't resist, especially at the price I got it for (believe me it was cheap!!). When I got it I got in touch with Eggintons in Sheffield (they own a few of the old 'Sheffield' knife makers names) and asked them about it and that's where the info I have came from - they were actually surprised I had the knife and were curious as to how I had got it (I got the feeling I shouldn't of had it!!) and they basically said that it had more than likely been nicked out of the MOD stores. They said the ones they supply are totally unmarked and they are supplied like this at the request of the MOD.
    They also said that there were several places making FS knives who claimed them to be genuine but as far as they (Eggingtons) were concerned theirs were the only genuine ones as issued to the Government though other suppliers may well be selling them to members of the armed forces as private purchase items, some of these will have the NSN etc stamped on them.
    Thats about as much as I can add really? I can only state what I was told by the makers, who I have to presume have the info correct? Then again...who knows!!

Just remembered I'd posted about the letter I had from Eggintons on another forum elsewhere and I'd typed out bits of it so I've just been and done a cut and paste on it...

The info is first hand from Egginton Bros. and comes from the Sales and Marketing Manager and is in responce to some questions I asked about my Egginton Bros. Fairbairn-Sykes knife which is shown earlier on in the thread.

I'll quote, word for word, the relevent part(s) of the letter...

"We manufacture the Fairbairn-Sykes Commando Dagger here in our Sheffield factory

The all black dagger is supplied in two versions. 180B is our standard version, and 180BMoD is made to Ministry of Defence specification E/1323E and conforms to NATO Stock Number: 1095 99 9632037. Our knives are in use in the present conflict in Afghanistan.

The 180BMoD differs from the 180B in two ways. Firstly, it is balanced at a particular point. We believe this is for throwing purposes. Secondly, the knife is not marked. We are not sure why this is.

Ministry of Defence specification E/1323E demands that the knife is supplied in a Leather Combat Sheath. Again, we offer two types. LS/180 is our standard version. LS180MoD is made to British MoD specification E/1323E and conforms to Nato Stock Number: 1095 99 9632037. The LS/180Mod differs from the LS180 in just one respect. It is made from a better quality, softer leather."

There is then a general bit about the company and who they acquired etc and then the following

"Our standard 180B Daggers are normally stamped on the cross-guard with the William Rodgers name. This company has a long and proud history of supplying daggers to the Commando Regiment."

There is a bit more about when the Egginton Group and then this final bit I'll quote...

"There are daggers sold by our competitors which are marked with the NATO stock number etc which claim to be made to British MoD specification. We would refute any claim to this effect. For a start true MoD specification knives are not marked with anything. Furthermore, we believe the material used in the blades is not per British MoD specification. We have not however recently performed any product analysis to prove this for certain."

So, there you go, make of it what you will, but it would appear that there is definitely a MoD version and a 'commercial' version of the FS dagger going by what Eggintons have said?
    Right, hopefully that will of come out as it was meant to and is readable! Not much more I can add as all the info I have is what has come from the manufacturers as per the above from their letter?

This is their quote on how they think it got onto the market...

we would imagine that the seller of the official issue daggers has obtained them for nothing or next to nothing via the “back door” of the military.
    Naughty, naughty....

Hi time bandit,
    thanks for the info, that is very useful to know it is a shame that they dont mark the knives anymore as now who can tell what is military issue and what is not as they all look alike.
    I think i will stick with the older ones though, most unissued kit comes from the stores in the first place having more than they should have in the boxes. I still have an unissued S.L.R bayo straight
    from the case, either way you have a great knife for your collection, we will have to keep our eyes open for the real thing now.
    Regards Dave.

Hi Dave, I suppose I should really add that when this cropped up on the British Blades forum there was some disagreement over Eggintons claims regarding the knife specs and the fact that other suppliers were not up to spec and all that but at the end of the day I can only quote what they told me?
    I guess it's one of them subjects that will remain a tad controversial?
    At the end of the day I'm happy enough with the knife I got - it cost less than a new 'commercial' FS from any of the usual suppliers so I could never really lose.
    I'm not sure if I can link to another forum or if I'll get slapped wrists for it but there is an excellent thread about FS knives over on the British Blades site - well worth a look...British Blades FS thread...

Cheers
    Mike

Mods - if the link is not allowed please delete it.

philant
    ?

Hi THere,

Just to introduce my self, I m Phil from the UK and interested in the F S patterns. Would be grateful for any response relating to the knives, or just a chat.

Cheers

Phil

?

Hello Phil, This is an older thread 2010. But I'm sure you can find someone here who nknows everything about these as I do not. Thanks for the interest,though!
    ~Dean

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4