Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Came across this fairbairn sykes in my late great uncles belongings

Article about: Hi folks. I was hoping this would be the place to get some info. I have tried my own research on this knife and so far I have concluded it's a 3rd pattern. The mould is number 2. But that is

Default Came across this fairbairn sykes in my late great uncles belongings

Hi folks. I was hoping this would be the place to get some info. I have tried my own research on this knife and so far I have concluded it's a 3rd pattern. The mould is number 2. But that is the only marking. Is this a reproduction or hybrid that someone has toyed around with post war? I'm pretty sure it's not a replica

How do I attached a photo from my phone btw?!

Default Found pics upload

Came across this fairbairn sykes in my late great uncles belongingsCame across this fairbairn sykes in my late great uncles belongingsCame across this fairbairn sykes in my late great uncles belongingsCame across this fairbairn sykes in my late great uncles belongingsCame across this fairbairn sykes in my late great uncles belongingsCame across this fairbairn sykes in my late great uncles belongings

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    Congratulations!
    It is an original 3rd pattern FS knife. Finding out who the maker was could be almost impossible.
    Are there any markings on the guard?
    My example with a "2" mould marking has been posted here.
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/fairb...fe-2-a-399823/
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi Ralph.

Afraid the number 2 mould at the top of handle is the only thing I've got regarding a marking. Nothing on the guard either. I took it to get valued at a local auctioneers today and the said because there was no markings on the guard it was then a homemade knife put together and not genuine. Also told the pommel nut was fabricated. I honestly looked at this and disagree. Hence me coming to this site lol.

Quote by pgreg79 View Post
    Hi Ralph.

Afraid the number 2 mould at the top of handle is the only thing I've got regarding a marking. Nothing on the guard either. I took it to get valued at a local auctioneers today and the said because there was no markings on the guard it was then a homemade knife put together and not genuine. Also told the pommel nut was fabricated. I honestly looked at this and disagree. Hence me coming to this site lol.
    I agree with your assessment.
    There was more than one maker of the FS fighting knife.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

So you think the whole knife is legit ww2 Ralph? What about the top nut. I was told recently it was a less common one, but at valuation he was saying it was done at later date. I disagree again on the latter

Came across this fairbairn sykes in my late great uncles belongingsCame across this fairbairn sykes in my late great uncles belongings

Looks like a good example to me. This is my grandfathers 3rd pattern. It has a 1 where yours has a 2. Also seen in the pic is a broad arrow with an 8. The nut on this one is domed the same but looks shallower. Cheers Brian

I have one that is almost identical to the one that started this thread.
    It has the #2 mold mark. dark handle / bright blade and is otherwise unmarked
    except mine has the "England" stamp on the guard.----there is no broadarrow.

The handle, blade and crossguard all compare favorably with war time examples.
    Even though the is no acceptance mark, I have never had any reason to doubt that
    it was a war time example.

When I get a chance, I will take a close up shot of it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Came across this fairbairn sykes in my late great uncles belongings  
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

The taller top nut is fine, and having the cast "2" strengthens the wartime dating. Post war examples often didn't have the cast number, possibly ground off during finishing.

Lightbulb

I am not an expert but the knife does look OK to me ( and I do have a 3rd Pattern ). The valuer seems to be rather harsh in his assessment ; this doesn't look like a 'put-together' knife IMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast