Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

F-S knife with unusual grip

Article about: Hi there guys, A few months ago I bought this very pretty dagger from a chap who described it as being "probably an officer's private purchase, with a stag horn grip that offers better

Default F-S knife with unusual grip

Hi there guys,

A few months ago I bought this very pretty dagger from a chap who described it as being "probably an officer's private purchase, with a stag horn grip that offers better grip when wet". Being as I was young(er) and foolish(er), I got rather excited by the prospect and snapped it up. Having had a bit of a think about it since, it occurs to me that it probably isn't stag horn at all, and I'm now beginning to think that the handle is some kind of dark wood. It is a very odd shape though. It sits lovely in the hand, mind! See what you think:

I hope that my picture-posting is all up to code and everything. I would post more detailed photographs but there's really nothing to see in terms of markings - although there do seem to be scratch marks up the length of the blade, as though someone's been grinding at it. The length of the blade is 17.6cm and the whole thing is almost dead-on 30cm.

I'd be interested to hear what everyone thinks of this!

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    The handle is not stag horn and definitely NOT a better grip when wet. It could be cow horn but the details of it are not visable in these photos. I save my photos with the largest side to 1600 pixels. This allows for better viewing. Better lighting on the photos would help as well.
    Here is an example. When you click on the photo, it will enlarge.
    Ralph.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture F-S knife with unusual grip  
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I might add, the blade should be 6 3/4" if it has not been re-tipped.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I do apologise; I read a sticky somewhere else on the forum recommending that images be nearer to 800 by something else so I went toward that end. I can repost with higher resolution if it would help?

Regarding the grip, perhaps your cow horn suggestion would account for the odd shape. There is a small chip missing about halfway down but the colour is consistent in there too. Is there anything else I should be looking for?

The other thing I forgot to mention is the scabbard that came with it:

Apparently it is a cut-down SMLE bayonet scabbard (it certainly looks the part to my untrained eye), and the only marking I can see on it is a small "A" in a star which I presume is an inspection mark, as well as a big "3" on the rim.

There seems to be some kind of number on the back of the webbing, not sure what the hell that might be.

Edit: regarding blade length, both this and a modern-made dagger I bought have a length of about 17.5-ish cm, which is just under 7". I don't know if that's in keeping with the norm but they don't seem to be too wildly different from each other.

Edit 2: My God, I've never seen such fuzzy photos. My apologies

Hello Francis, not much I can offer you other than the thick unmarked cross guard with machine ground blade suggests that your knife may have originally been a late war 3rd pattern F-S before the modifications. The original pommel nut may have been re-used. Can't say I've seen another knife modified quite this this one.

Ralph, that's one sweet knife you have there

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

It appears that the pommel nut has been re-used, but the tang has obviously been bent to accommodate the curve to the horn.
    Ralph.
    Thanks Tony!

Very interesting, thanks for the input chaps. I wouldn't have bothered you if I had found photos of something similar but, as you can imagine, I've found nothing of the sort. Very odd. I wonder what on earth would possess someone to modify it like this?

Quote by Francis Xavier Sowerby Thomas View Post
    . . . I wonder what on earth would possess someone to modify it like this?
    I've on occasion seen examples that had me asking the same question . . .

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

I like the butter knife handle
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Good Lord - I'd read somewhere about cutlery handles but I didn't realise it was an actual thing.
    It does take all sorts, doesn't it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast