Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

FS knife????

Article about: Hi guys,i just found this knife online for sale,at first glance it looked liked an FS dagger but having looked about im not so sure now. The person who owns it knows nothing about it as they

Default FS knife????

Hi guys,i just found this knife online for sale,at first glance it looked liked an FS dagger but having looked about im not so sure now. The person who owns it knows nothing about it as they stated. Thanks as ever if you can help .
    Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FS knife????   FS knife????  

FS knife????   FS knife????  

Default Re: FS knife????

P.S. Please go easy on me if its that obvious its NOT FS! :-)

The only FS style part is the grip.

Sorry I cannot give you an ID.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Ok thanks Ade,its a rookie mistake,i can take it! ;-}

This is a common period private purchase knife which has had the grip replaced with a 3rd pattern FS. The blade is a period private purchase type, these were commonly made by William Rodgers, although many are unmarked. The sheath is also common to these type of private purchase knives. If you Google 'WW2 William Rodgers knife' you will see similar examples.

Indeed, the grip associated with this type of blade is usually made
    of stacked leather, with spacers and an aluminum pommel,
    although there should be a maker's mark stamped
    on the ricasso.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks for the comments guys...interesting!. So its 2 different knives put together basically. Grimebox,when you say its period private purchase do you mean its wartime period ?. The guy wants £45 for it,i like the knife not sure if its worth it now knowing its a jigsaw piece but if it was a wartime jigsaw i`d feel better about buying it.
    Mark

It is WW2 period, however, by that I mean it could be pre or post WW2, it is very difficult to date these knives. 1930's/40's is probably a better description. There is no way of telling when the grip was replaced but it appears they have been together for some time. Grips and blades were changed and replaced for a variety of reasons during the war from personal preference to boredom (If you Google 'Theatre made knife' you will see a variety of knives with various construction of grip.)
    I never give recommendations on buying items as I buy with my heart and not my head, if it's the right price and I like it I buy it! All I can say is £45 is around what you would pay for a similar knife in the same condition but with the original grip, and for what it's worth, I like the look of it as well!