Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Information FairBairn Sykes Fighting Knife

Article about: Could Anyone PLEASE help me on telling me information about my recently purchased Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife. Anything about it and its markings would be great! Thanks!

RYCAN MAN
    ?

Default Information FairBairn Sykes Fighting Knife

Could Anyone PLEASE help me on telling me information about my recently purchased Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife. Anything about it and its markings would be great! Thanks!

Default Re: Information FairBairn Sykes Fighting Knife

It's a 3rd pattern knife. The cross keys are the makers mark of John Nowill & Sons, Sheffield. The 'D' marking is a mould no. for the handle i think, which were made by Wolverhampton Die Casting. The scabbard is unusual to me, i haven't seen that type before, field repair maybe?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

The scabbard is post-war German made.

I have an identical one, however the SF dagger itself has different Sheffield markings.
    As I recall, mine is stamped 'Imperial gud-edge' or something similar on the
    crossguard - not sure of the production date, but it is probably from
    the 60's or 70's.

It may be that the German made sheath shown above, was substituted to obscure
    the fact that it is of more recent manufacture, as Nowill & Sons are still in business.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Information FairBairn Sykes Fighting Knife  
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 03-08-2011 at 11:47 PM.
    Regards,

Steve.

RYCAN MAN
    ?

Thank you very much Steve and Ned you have helped me out a lot in learning about by Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife.

Cheers.

Jax Max
    ?

Yes, both Mk3.....but that first one a one off made by someone wo loved it, That end of is unique. Never seen one close ever before, and I have about 50 including ridiculous rarities.
    I don't post them as I have a deep dislike of copiers who use cheap rusty steel (ie: from Pakistan) to remake crap copies.

I don't know what an almost unscratched Mk1 is worth now, but I'll happily pst a photo of that one, and one given by HRMQE on reciept of my CBE. Has Churchills words on the Ricasso and a cream Bakelite handle.
    Bakelite is probably not the commercial name for it, but its boxed and apparently one of 'a few[?]' made for RM, RN and most S forces to be given with a high gong.

Never wear one of my own, but the super rare FS, yes. at every wedding and funeral. More of the latter these days.

Good luck guys, I have no inclination to PAY $25 to share my info and contacts on blades and swords.

My RMZ 7/72 is a K98 bayonette with unusual grip and a screw on cosh.
    A doubly lethal weapon. Top one whack crushed skull, and with an FS in the other hand a silent finish. Just have your boys to take the legs and torso to stop the clatter.
    The unscrew is very fine and is not quick, but very useful in my five wars.

Photo's and requests of info on FSB's and RMZ's welcome. WAY too many faked RMZ's out here.

Happy slicing,

Lt Cdr Combined Operations Jack M G B*******CBM OBE etc etc for another snetence of accronyms that I dont care about. [ret]