Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Opinions needed on this F-S 2nd pattern B2

Article about: Hello to you all; I hope I did my homeworks correctly, reading your posts and the useful links provided above about the B2 Fairbairn Sykes daggers: if so, this one should be original. Now, I

Quote by ziomanno View Post
    Very nice dagger Ralph! An etched blade FS is a must, and at that price is more than a bargain.
    Thank you!
    There is no thread for it but, my nickel etched example has been posted here.
    Named F/S Dagger I picked up
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hey, if the previous is a very nice, etched dagger, this one is stunning! I would say a textbook specimen, congrats Ralph.

I can't let Ralph have all the fun

2nd pattern Wilkinson FS
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Nice parade of daggers you have there! I would like to get a nice 3rd pattern, but it's not easy to find a correct WWII specimen here.

Quote by rbminis View Post
    These were normally assembled with the pommel button in a vise.
    Ease of access?
    Ralph.
    Yes, the pommel nut was held in a vice while the tang end was peened. This left two telltale vice marks. However, in the case of this one the markings are not characteristic of the single vice depression on either side of the pommel. It does very much appear like the marks left by a set of pliers. Here are two examples of what is typical for vice marks:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skruvstyckets.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	903695

Name:	pommel vice  mark.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	161.2 KB 
ID:	903694

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hi Tony; actually, set of pliers was my first impression. I found some pics of other specimens with these vertical marks on the nut. The last one seems very close to mine.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	903708   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	12 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	903709  

Views:	11 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	903710  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ziomanno; 11-14-2015 at 03:58 PM.

This is a close up of the pommel nut of my dagger.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Views:	18 
Size:	206.9 KB 
ID:	903712  

Hi Ziomanno,

I've seen vertical lines on pommel nuts, usually on the larger nuts used with some later 3rd pattern knives as you have pictured. But even in these cases genuine un-messed with knives never seem to have too many of these marks on the nuts. Certainly there must have been cases where the production worker had to clamp the pommel nut a second time before satisfactorily peening down the tang. And different production facilities use different techniques and vice equipment. Much of the F-S knife production still remains shrouded in mystery. While I have a small collection of these wonderful knives picked up over several years (a portion shown below), I'm certainly no expert and am always learning new things. From experience, knives with numerous marks on the pommel nut are always a warning sign that there's possibly been parts swapping or simply trying to tighten up a handle that has become loose. As a rule I have tended to stay away from them.

Cheers,
    Tony

Name:	F-S collection (1e).jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	903869  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Thanks Tony (and congrats for your grouping!); I have to say that my button nut does have the cross-shaped marks left by a vice, but are "ruined", like the tool had slipped on them (I'll try to get a pic, but won't be easy). Other than this, I noticed that the button is blued on the marks, instead bearing there the bare metal: sign that it has been blued after the tightening/peening process.

Hi again ziomanno. Thank you. You make a good point re the bluing. Unless of course the knife has been re-blued, which it does not appear to have been. Regardless, you have a very nice example of a B2 2nd pattern and a worthy addition to any F-S collection. Congratulations. Now, your challenge will be to somehow resist the urge to spend piles of money buying more of these knives!

Cheers,
    Tony

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast