Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Unusual cork handled FS knife

Article about: I recently picked this knife up. The blade would appear to be FS (it is exactly the same size as my 3rd pattern). The grip is made of three pieces of cork (possibly the corks from a bottle?)

Default Unusual cork handled FS knife

I recently picked this knife up. The blade would appear to be FS (it is exactly the same size as my 3rd pattern). The grip is made of three pieces of cork (possibly the corks from a bottle?) and is coated in something, although it still feels slightly soft and has a good grip to it. The guard would appear to be hand made as opposed to a reused FS piece as it’s not quite uniform in shape. The scabbard has been repaired with crude split pins where it had split.

Possibly created for use in the Mediterranean Theatre where the cork would have given more grip due to the heat (this is complete supposition though as it did not come with any history)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual cork handled FS knife   Unusual cork handled FS knife  

Unusual cork handled FS knife   Unusual cork handled FS knife  

Theatre made perhaps. In the photos the blade doesn't seem to up to the quality of finish we see in FS knives.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Theatre made perhaps. In the photos the blade doesn't seem to up to the quality of finish we see in FS knives.
    It might be the quality of my photos, the blade is the same length, width and thickness as a 3rd pattern (given a few thousandths), however it has been quite crudely polished and sharpened over the years. I accept that there have been numerous copies made of FS knives though and this might be an adaptation of a private purchase. Unfortunately it’ll be one of those ones that we’ll never know about, however, I do think that it is period.

Perhaps the cork was added for buoyancy. I have seen a couple of "theater knives" that were made by Sailors that had cork handles.

Take care,

Mart

?

Could be a wood handled variant that someone rehilted in the hope that it would float....there is evidence of wood handled variants being given to raf crews...test it ! and i can state categorically that wood handled variants dont float...i tried it