MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Weekend F-S pickup – 2nd Pattern Nickel

Article about: Thanks to a friend who alerted me to a local auction held this past Saturday I added two F-S knives to the collection, the star being this all-nickel 2nd Pattern. It was easier finding a 1st

Default Weekend F-S pickup – 2nd Pattern Nickel

Thanks to a friend who alerted me to a local auction held this past Saturday I added two F-S knives to the collection, the star being this all-nickel 2nd Pattern. It was easier finding a 1st pattern than one of these. Ideally it would have been a Wilkinson etched version, but those few times these rarities popped up the price well exceeded the meager funds in hobby coffer. Can’t complain about this knife though. The photos really don’t do it justice, especially the bright near flawless blade with perfect factory edge.

The nickel F-S knives came in three versions: the aforementioned etched blade, and the /I\ 56 and /I\ 60 marked. The latter being the scarcer of the two. The /I\ 56 inspection mark is found stamped on the cross guard whereas the /I\ 60 is on the handle, as in this example.

The scabbard has been mismatched along the way as my understanding is that issue scabbards had the nickel finish chape. But otherwise also in top condition with seldom seen intact elastic strap.

Hope you guys had a great weekend as well!

Cheers,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Weekend F-S pickup – 2nd Pattern Nickel   Weekend F-S pickup – 2nd Pattern Nickel  

Weekend F-S pickup – 2nd Pattern Nickel   Weekend F-S pickup – 2nd Pattern Nickel  

Weekend F-S pickup – 2nd Pattern Nickel   Weekend F-S pickup – 2nd Pattern Nickel  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Love it Tony!
    Especially with those markings. You are correct about the chape on the sheath.
    Congrats! I know you have been looking for one for a while now.
    I recently saw one on the Wilkinson FS site.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks Ralph! It was a bit of a gamble. Having only heard about the auction on Thursday I was unable to fit in the two hour round trip into town to inspect the knife during Friday’s pre-auction viewing. Nor was I able to attend Saturday for the bidding.

Based on the two web pics the knife seemed OK. Although with the straight-on pics provided it’s difficult to verify that the blade doesn’t have any bends, the handle is loose, etc. With a little coaching my friend was able to peer through the glass ahead of bidding to at least confirm a straight blade.

Added bonus was quieter than expected bidding, leaving some spare shekels to play with. I tossed a lowball at this H.G. Long replica 1st Pattern and won it also. I’d read that these were quality made knives and wasn’t disappointed.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Added bonus was quieter than expected bidding, leaving some spare shekels to play with. I tossed a lowball at this H.G. Long replica 1st Pattern and won it also. I’d read that these were quality made knives and wasn’t disappointed.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Wow! I'm envious!
    I like this one too!
    Congrats!
    I am still hoping that I am able to acquire a first pattern for my display case as I have left a spot for it.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Thanks Ralph! It was a bit of a gamble. Having only heard about the auction on Thursday I was unable to fit in the two hour round trip into town to inspect the knife during Friday’s pre-auction viewing. Nor was I able to attend Saturday for the bidding.

Based on the two web pics the knife seemed OK. Although with the straight-on pics provided it’s difficult to verify that the blade doesn’t have any bends, the handle is loose, etc. With a little coaching my friend was able to peer through the glass ahead of bidding to at least confirm a straight blade.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Lovely blades when using them for what they were made for.
    I have a passion for sharp steel.

?

Now that's some CANDY!!!!!
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Congrats on the nickel #2. That is a beauty of a knife.
    As you said, they are very hard to find and you scored a good one.
    The condition is really really nice.

Those "HG Long" knives are very well made. I have their version of
    The "Marine Raider" stiletto.

Congrats again on a fine pair of knives.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Thanks guys. The supportive comments are much appreciated. Ralph, here's hoping that vacancy for a 1st Pattern is filled before too much longer!

Cheers,
    Tony

Very nice Tony. I have a very similar unmarked example in my collection.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks Ade. Please feel free to post it for us to ogle. It's always a pleasure viewing the F-S knives residing in other collections.

And in that vein, my new acquisition has found its new home alongside the other examples in my humble collection. The Polish insignia, of course, represents units issued with the legendary F-S, an enduring testament to British skill in weapons design and production during WW2.

Cheers,
    Tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast