Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dug out M38 helmet genuine ?

Article about: Hello guys. What are your thoughts about this M 38 helmet? For me it looks good...

Default Dug out M38 helmet genuine ?

Hello guys.
    What are your thoughts about this M 38 helmet?
    For me it looks good...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dug out M38 helmet genuine ?   Dug out M38 helmet genuine ?  

Dug out M38 helmet genuine ?   Dug out M38 helmet genuine ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dug out M38 helmet genuine ?
    P
    Many

I can buy it for about 200 Euro... I think this is a nice price for a genuine m38 helmet in this state. If it's a contemperary piece.

MAP
    ?

I'm not typically the type that raises red flags when I see "red" rust as we all know it can develop at anytime on original items if they are poorly stored but all the rust on this helmet looks very recent.

Otherwise, for my poor eyes, with all this rust, I not comfortable saying if the helmet is original or not. Hopefully others with more M38 experience can tell.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

There's uniformity in the rust over all the surface, inside and out, that seems unnatural. No sign of paint or less corroded areas, just uniform red rust. That would put me off.

I have to say I was more focused on typical M38 characteristics like tool tracks or shaping and I like what I see.
    If you hide the "rust problem" what are your thoughts? Would you like this item then?
    Regards Thomas

Hi Thomas, looks OK to me.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Quote by Hanomag83 View Post
    I have to say I was more focused on typical M38 characteristics like tool tracks or shaping and I like what I see.
    If you hide the "rust problem" what are your thoughts? Would you like this item then?
    Regards Thomas
    Hi Thomas.
    Well, if you ignore all the red flags, then even the tackiest repro is going to look lovely!

That said, I don’t have a problem with this myself... I have a couple of relics that I acquired many, many years ago, which have virtually no paint traces on them whatsoever. These examples were recovered from the sea, off the Channel Islands, and are in a very similar condition to this M38, still with some quite bright areas of rust.
    Shape wise, it appears good too (though please bear in mind I am by no means an expert in things Fallschirmjaeger).

All the best,
    Bob

First of all my thanks to all of you guys. Always good to have experienced people around. For me the most important thing is that the items are genuine. When there is the opportunity to get a genuine m38 in perhaps bad state I have to give a try. You all know the prices for these helmets and 200 Euro is a bargain, if it's a contemporary piece.

Best regards
    Thomas

The red flash rust is a bit odd, but probably as a result of some clean up and then left in a damp environment. Having said that the shell looks solid enough to respond well to some rust treatment which then might show some of the remaining paint. Give it a gentle clean and let's see what it is under the red stuff!

Hello again,
    after a long time my helmet arrived and I gave it a gentle clean. What are your thoughts now in terms of authencity? I have to say that I have my doubts...
    could it be that there is a ET and CLK one above the other? Both stand for the same manufacturer, right? Is it possible that the stamp can be seen as a bump from the outside like on the picture I posted?

Best regards Thomas

Dug out M38 helmet genuine ?Dug out M38 helmet genuine ?Dug out M38 helmet genuine ?Dug out M38 helmet genuine ?Dug out M38 helmet genuine ?Dug out M38 helmet genuine ?Dug out M38 helmet genuine ?

First i thought if there isn't a beak it can not be a genuine helmet but then i found these helmets at Weitze and these do not have it, too.
    Dug out M38 helmet genuine ?Dug out M38 helmet genuine ?Dug out M38 helmet genuine ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dug out M38 helmet genuine ?  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast