Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Early spanner bolt M38: opinions please

Article about: A couple of old tricks that were used by helmet fakers regarding "rusting" a helmet were to add soot from a candle over newer rust to blacken it and also hearth or stove blacking,

Default Early spanner bolt M38: opinions please

only pic i have for now more on wayEarly spanner bolt M38: opinions please

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early spanner bolt M38: opinions please
    P
    Many

?

Default re: Early spanner bolt M38: opinions please

You don't need anymore, it's a fake.

+1.

Just from this pic that chinstrap end looks brand new, and the angle at the beginnings of the visor is off. The repeating scratches all over are also classic forced ageing.

Probably Chinese .........
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Er ditto, not a good un

From other info here, the rust isn't old looking. Old rust is almost red and this looks more orange or it is in between

?

Quote by kylesbullets View Post
    From other info here, the rust isn't old looking. Old rust is almost red and this looks more orange or it is in between
    Kyle any helmet with red rust is a red flag. Red rust is typically new rust not old. Oxidization takes on many variations depending on ambient temperature combined with humidity, storage conditions and other environmental factors.

You've been asked politely and privately by forum owner Ade and publicly by myself and Mr Coleman to refrain from making commentary and giving advice just so you can be a part of the conversation. Most times the advice you've given has been after experienced members have posted and if you go on a limb most times you are incorrect. Giving advice with a high post count to some members might equate that with experience which at 13 you simply do not have. At 48 I learn something new every day.

What you do have is passion. I love your passion. Never stop being passionate about your hobbies. But it needs to be reigned in son. I will be deleting further posts that are incorrect, off topic, misleading, or in the case of various Holocaust threads you've participated in, anything insensitive.

This is a message from the WRF Public Warning System.

I hope you get the message now Kyle, as I won't warn you any longer.

Old rust on helmets turns black due to the nickle content that used to be a standard part of the steel making process. Modern steel lacks this rust inhibiting feature and turns red with moisture.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Old rust on helmets turns black due to the nickle content that used to be a standard part of the steel making process. Modern steel lacks this rust inhibiting feature and turns red with moisture.
    I learn something new here every day (or in all honesty, I learn a whole ton of new things here everyday. But this is definitely a great one to know)

Quote by Cadillac View Post
    I learn something new here every day (or in all honesty, I learn a whole ton of new things here everyday. But this is definitely a great one to know)
    I agree, Bob must be a part time metallurgist!...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast