Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Fallschirmjäger just bought. Opinions, please, and thanks!

Article about: Hi guys, Hope you are doing all right. So. I collect helmets. But I don't have a great budget. So I search a lot for relics and then couple them with documents, gas masks, original bullets,

Default Fallschirmjäger just bought. Opinions, please, and thanks!

Hi guys, Hope you are doing all right.
    So. I collect helmets. But I don't have a great budget. So I search a lot for relics and then couple them with documents, gas masks, original bullets, etc.
    So, basically trying to keep as much original as I can given that limitation and so far it's going fine.

Sooo. Just won this Fallschirmjäger helmet (in relic state) from Germany. Allegedly original, dug-out. (Bodenfund Fallschirmjäger Helmglocke),
    I have 20% hopes that is indeed original. But chances are this is another replica that was rotting somewhere.

Anyway I need to ask you gents, who are the experts to give me your opinion. And also, if you are cool with it, give me some advise on how better preserve it. I mean cleaning, and maybe on buying a replica or original liner (depends on cost) to match it for display (i will keep my ebay search open for that). Any ideas of the pattern or period this helmet or replica would belong? Should I put a nice decal (if replica?).

Top View
    Side
    Interior - if original... pretty sure that's a dead guy in there

Fallschirmjäger just bought. Opinions, please, and thanks!Fallschirmjäger just bought. Opinions, please, and thanks!Fallschirmjäger just bought. Opinions, please, and thanks!

Thanks all!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fallschirmjäger just bought. Opinions, please, and thanks!
    P
    Many

it is original.

I might just buy a cover. And leave out a liner (which will not attach as some parts are missing), or a decal (and I really love decals).
    Would you recommend something to preserve it? Avoid more rust (or I guess is also breaking apart, it looks very thin).
    I used to apply some antirust lacquer that kind-of "plastified" my helmets, which for me was great (but for experts here was a no-go). Any other way? Thanks. Just trying to find the best way to preserve it and display it.

?

Quote by diazcalvi View Post
    Interior - if original... pretty sure that's a dead guy in there
    What makes you say that?

Concerning preservation, I'm not an expert, but I'd be inclined to leave it just as it is. As you suggest, it looks very fragile.

Just a suggestion, but I think that a relic helmet like this would look good displayed next to a nice contemporary image of such a helmet in wear. It would be easy and inexpensive to have a picture copied to a suitable size and then have it alongside or as a background.

Regards, Philip

?

As its an original, any messing about with it will destroy its look, liners are rare and expensive, repro liners wont match the condition , a decal will not adhere to the surface, leave as is and take Philips advice

I agree, leave it as is. If you don't want to keep it then I will be happy to buy it off you!

Thanks guys. I will of course keep it, and the picture idea is great. better than buying a deepeka (that's the other option, to be coupled in a display).
    Actually I like very much the item, really.
    Thanks for all the advice.

Philip the "dead guy" comment was just a bad use of an expression . Just that I have another relic german helmet, I think I showed it here before, and received dirty (very), rusty and muddy from germany, and after cleaning revealed a decal and bullets just exactly where this one shows those tiny thnigis in the interior. I was amazed.
    Someone later explained to me (maybe one of you guys), that those were helmets stolen from burried soldiers (which killed my naive view of life... in my imagination, that belonged to an old fella hiding his helmet and bullets 60 years ago).
    Never mind!!

Great advice as usual