Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M38 Falschirmjager helmet ........ or not?

Article about: If you get the additional missing strap from the previous owner you might be able to resew all the pieces back together,too bad about the bolt, but they can be found, theres usually some at

M38
    ?

No problem with this one, other than the damaged straps, and it appears one bolt is missing. But everything is original and these slot/vent aluminum bolts are proper for mid to late war no decal helmets. You are lucky to find this one and hopefully, with a little more luck, you will find an original bolt to replace the missing one. The slot vent bolts are hard to find but a plain slotted aluminum bolt would be appropriate as well and those are easier to find.

Cheers,
    Terry

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M38 Falschirmjager helmet ........ or not?
    P
    Many

?

Get pics of the inside rim/fold on the skirt! As you might know ET used tools leaving a mark when rolling the rim of the skirt.

Cheers and good luck mate!

nice find.

Quote by M38 View Post
    No problem with this one, other than the damaged straps, and it appears one bolt is missing. But everything is original and these slot/vent aluminum bolts are proper for mid to late war no decal helmets. You are lucky to find this one and hopefully, with a little more luck, you will find an original bolt to replace the missing one. The slot vent bolts are hard to find but a plain slotted aluminum bolt would be appropriate as well and those are easier to find.

Cheers,
    Terry
    Thanks for your expert assessment Terry!
    Well its bought and like the m35 I bought both on the way down under.
    I'll be sure to do some good pictures when it lands.

Cheers, 'lucky Dan'
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Nice score Dan, do you fancy picking some lottery numbers for me this week?

Good on ya Dan, I think you've got a great one there. Don't give me numbers but was it a good price?

Well, I have a tracking number so it does look promising so far.

BTW, this is how the seller described the helmet ( I have left the spelling & grammar as is ) but I should not criticize, English is my ONLY language ( and being Australian, the wags will say "only just English" )

WWII German Soldier Paratrooper M38 Helmet. I got this helmet of my grandfather many years ago. He brought it home after serving in army. It is original helmet. Inside is black stamp and serial number 68. It is called M38. Venting screws are there but one screw has half of head missing. Also straps are not the best. All the rest is good condition. I wanted to rebuild it and modify to make it suitable as a motorcycle helmet but too much work with this. Lots of years it was hanged on a wall and collecting dust. If there are any lowers of stuff from WWII this is a great peace to have.

Indeed it is ..... I have asked about the missing strap too. What would be best, just to reassemble what there is, source a new bolt and let the straps hang loose or try to locate another set of straps??? Opinions?

Thanks Dan
    ....and it was very, very, very reasonably priced.

?

Hi Dan even if you could source another set of straps for the purpose of display I would never part with the old ones as they are part of the helmets history I would be very leery indeed about trying to remove the broken spanner bolt and replacing the harness .
    I have a few helmets in my collection with damaged straps mainly Mk II's but I leave the originals alone and of the norm only ever replace missing components just my two pennies worth (BTW YOU LUCKY BUGGER)

Regards Mark

Thanks Mark .... the helmet is in pieces as per the photos. If it wasn't, your correct & I would never attempt to take them apart.

I'll take your two pennies though ( will help with the purchase ) ......

?

Sorry Dan I should have said the broken spanner bolt it would suck if the top was cracked and you go to take it apart and or retighten it and snap !!!

Regards Mark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast