Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Metal Detecting Find, FJ Helmet

Article about: Hi all, I am after some advice concerning a recent find a friend and me had whilst metal detecting. In what appears to have been an old fox hole we found numerous items from the Normandy cam

Default Metal Detecting Find, FJ Helmet

Hi all, I am after some advice concerning a recent find a friend and me had whilst metal detecting. In what appears to have been an old fox hole we found numerous items from the Normandy campaign, to be more precise the battle for Hill 192. Amongst the various items which included combs, gloves, shaving brushes, razors, pens, pencils, belts, spectacles and even false teeth were 5 helmets; one american GI, two german M42 and two FJ. I am pleased to say that no remains were found.

I am posting various pictures of one of the FJ helmets, both of which are in similar condition. Obviously my main concern is preserving any further deterioration of the helmet without damaging any of its authenticity. I have spoken to a guy named Mike in the UK who gave me some advice, so if you are a member of this forum Mike please don't feel that I disbelieve you, I'd just like to get as much advice as possible.

Many thanks for your thoughts.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Metal Detecting Find, FJ Helmet   Metal Detecting Find, FJ Helmet  

Metal Detecting Find, FJ Helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Metal Detecting Find, FJ Helmet
    P
    Many

?

What a find!

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

My main concern is you getting into trouble. Digging in France is not legal. Please read up on this.

Re the helmet: keeping it in a modern centrally heated home should be fine. Some rust will continue to flake off, which you cannot prevent.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

In France, the archaeological remains are protected by the Heritage Code, Art. L. 531-1 and following, and the historical and archaeological objects are in the same code, in particular by Articles L. 542-1 to L. 542-3.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

In 2014
    A wine sentenced to 197,000 euro fine for illegal excavation
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

?

To be honest, I am dumbfounded that this post has been allowed, where is all the uproar, surely those who posted here a couple of weeks ago, accusers of grave robbing, treasure hunters, etc still have a voice, or could it be that I was proved correct. These items have been illegally dug, therefore can be construed as black diggers, but here we again see that there are some very hypocritical people on this forum, I thank Lebus for his explanation of the laws governing illegal digging, and there is absolutely no excuse for claiming ignorance of the laws in any country ,especially if you are a part time or experienced digger, you know when and where you can dig otherwise you would,nt even attempt or hope to find anything

?

Dave you seem to have a large axe to grind at the moment unfortunately ! With regard to this post we are going through the procedure we go through with any one who posts something like this , the legal authority and credibilty of anyone to carry out metal detecting / digging etc etc is investigated , Ade has already begun that procedure in the thread and Lebus has pointed out the relevant laws in France . As with all all such posts if the member cannot provide the relevant legal authority etc they will be removed as is the procedure on this forum.

That is being carried out behind the scenes as well as on the thread !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Sattalight can you please read this thread and the link and provide the relevant information as to the legality of your metal detecting either on this thread or by private message

Please read before attempting to post in this section !!!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Thanks for the reply Paul, no I have no large axe to grind, just to see that fairness is exercised, you,ve made a sweeping statement regarding investigation into a post or subject on the forum, its such a shame that that did,nt happen prior to all the comments made before . As an ex copper I,m afraid I am used to dealing with little things like evidence, facts, before condemning someone or something, but thanks for your explanation.

Quote by davejb View Post
    Thanks for the reply Paul, no I have no large axe to grind, just to see that fairness is exercised,
    Good thing ........... and fairness has been exercised on this forum......outside the forum, knock em dead !!
    The forum itself is within its limits by forum rules..and owes no one any more of an explanation that what has already been beaten to death in a now media soured opera.
    So since there are no issues or "axes" then there is no reason to draw into this FJ Thread what is irrelevant to the OPs topic..which belongs to him only and not to you or anyone else. Ade has already commented on this thread regarding the helmet..and then Paul. The line is drawn !!

If you have something to say about the helmet and its condition..or the organization itself from which it represents then so be it..everything else has been provided by a link with digging laws. Stay on topic of the original intent of the thread. No need to close this one down..or remove people unrelated to it.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast