Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My First FJ Helmet

Article about: I first bought this helmet from Billy Shea in 1994 - a double decal paratrooper. *It wasn't in great shape but it was real and it was in a price range that I could afford.** It was my first

Default My First FJ Helmet

I first bought this helmet from Billy Shea in 1994 - a double decal paratrooper. *It wasn't in great shape but it was real and it was in a price range that I could afford.** It was my first FJ, and I really got attached to it. *Reluctantly I*traded it away about 5 years ago as part of a deal for a pretty nice M42 DD DR SS helmet. *Several years later it appeared on a dealer's site and I had to get it back. *It is an ET71 shell*but has what I am sure is a War time replacement size 57 liner - an early one with the yellow crash pads. *The Fallschirmjager who last wore it in battle*most certainly was KIA. *There are two concussion cracks on the top of the dome, and there are the telltale "corpse cut" remnants of the harness. *The leather of the liner was very dry and fragile and had a few tears when I first owned it. *Unfortunately, it*has sustained*additional*damage,*probably during shipping*in the several transfers*since I parted with it in the trade, but is mostly still there. *Despite the battle damage, I think it still displays well and I*really do like it. *It was, after all, my first. *Here it is, I hope you like it as much as I do. *Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My First FJ Helmet   My First FJ Helmet  

My First FJ Helmet   My First FJ Helmet  

My First FJ Helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My First FJ Helmet
    P
    Many

Despite the issues it is nice to see a genuine unassailable example Jim. ALL the telltale marks are present to guide the young'uns in their quests .........

Thanks for showing us.
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Lovely decals and patina to the shell. I think the cracks to the shell add to the story - albeit probably a gruesome one.
    Thanks for posting.
    Nick

?

That one really speaks! Nice score.

Robt.

M38
    ?

Nice scarce one Jim. Interesting liner!

Cheers,
    Terry

Quote by M38 View Post
    Nice scarce one Jim. Interesting liner!

Cheers,
    Terry
    Yes the liner band too with the odd rippling...not understanding how that would have happenned??
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Yes the liner band too with the odd rippling...not understanding how that would have happenned??
    From what I know about the weird and bizarre effects of blast concussion (it really does travell around corners etc!) I think the distortion of the aluminium headband is likely due to the same blast that fractured the shell. It isn't clear to me in the pics but I suspect the cracks are to the forward area of the shell?

@ Jim, a great evocative piece of history there. Is there any provenance or even place of recovery from the field?

Thanks for showing

Regards

Mark

PS If a soldier was wearing the lid when it was damaged then it is correct that he likely died as a result but surprisingly the head trauma alone may have been survivable as the intergrity of the helmet is not fully breached. I think this poor soul probably died from the overall effects of the concussion upon his internal organs, lungs, heart, liver spleen etc are all severely affected and even the level of traumatic shock is often enough!

Sorry to add the gruesome thought but it might add to the impression given.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 12-31-2017 at 12:26 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

That's a great helmet, I'm not surprised you wanted it back.

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    From what I know about the weird and bizarre effects of blast concussion (it really does travell around corners etc!) I think the distortion of the aluminium headband is likely due to the same blast that fractured the shell. It isn't clear to me in the pics but I suspect the cracks are to the forward area of the shell?

@ Jim, a great evocative piece of history there. Is there any provenance or even place of recovery from the field?

Thanks for showing

Regards

Mark

PS If a soldier was wearing the lid when it was damaged then it is correct that he likely died as a result but surprisingly the head trauma alone may have been survivable as the intergrity of the helmet is not fully breached. I think this poor soul probably died from the overall effects of the concussion upon his internal organs, lungs, heart, liver spleen etc are all severely affected and even the level of traumatic shock is often enough!

Sorry to add the gruesome thought but it might add to the impression given.

Hi Mark, Unfortunately I have no information regarding this helmet. I have already put it back into storage, but I have a few shots of the top of the shell that show where the cracks are. Here they are. The first is from the rear, the second shot is from the front. Thank you for the favorable comments regarding this piece and the information regarding the dynamics of blast concussion. Happy New Year, Jim G.
    Attached Images Attached Images My First FJ Helmet  My First FJ Helmet 
    Last edited by helmet2id; 01-01-2018 at 12:20 AM.

Wow what a story, trading it away and then getting it back again, well done!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast