Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

An original fake FJ Helmet?

Article about: Excuse the oxymoron, but is there such a thing as an original or older fake Fallschirmjager Helmet? I bought this one about 20years ago from a junk sale. It had evidence of a decal back then

backofbeyond
    ?

Default An original fake FJ Helmet?

Excuse the oxymoron, but is there such a thing as an original or older fake Fallschirmjager Helmet? I bought this one about 20years ago from a junk sale. It had evidence of a decal back then, and a couple of years ago I added some repro decals. The helmet has nothing stamped on the shell, but does have 'M1943' and '58' printed on the liner. Everything feels high quality, the weight is 1.4 kgs (3 pounds) the leather liner is chamois style leather and the straps are two part. The chinstrap snap has a 'Prym 6 original' snap which I understand were produced from the 50s onwards.

Considering the numerous cheap copies coming from India, where would this have come from and what would it be worth?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An original fake FJ Helmet?  
    Last edited by backofbeyond; 04-10-2011 at 10:46 AM.

2. # ADS

Default Re: An original fake FJ Helmet?

This most likely is a Bundes Grenz Schutz (BGS) helmet. The BGS is a sort of Border Police. Strictly post war. I guess in itself worthy to be collected. Remove the decals. They degrade the helmet. Price could be near Euro 100,-, but only as a correct post war helmet in good condition.

These helmets were also tried by the German Parachute troops in the mid fifties, but not adopted.

Cheers,
    Emile

20 years ago is around 1990 , plenty of reenactor helmets , shells and fake decals on the market then. Just like today.

backofbeyond
    ?

Thanks very much for the ideas! It has to be much older than 1990 for me to have bought it for 50cents Australian back then; however, its condition would suggest that it was never used and I've had it sitting in a box for 20 years so it would be hard to date. I only collect Iron Crosses, so I know very little about helmets.