Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fallschirmschützenabzeichen G H Osang, Dresden real or fake?

Article about: Hi to you all... I have a badge in sight that I want to buy but I am doubting if it is a real one or not... Unfortunately these are the only pics I have right now. Can anyone help me anyway?

?

Default Fallschirmschützenabzeichen G H Osang, Dresden real or fake?

Hi to you all...
    I have a badge in sight that I want to buy but I am doubting if it is a real one or not... Unfortunately these are the only pics I have right now. Can anyone help me anyway? Thanks in advance!!

Fallschirmschützenabzeichen G H Osang, Dresden real or fake?Fallschirmschützenabzeichen G H Osang, Dresden real or fake?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fallschirmschützenabzeichen G H Osang, Dresden real or fake?
    P
    Many

Wait for Big Ned or Kradmelder.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Hello,
    It's a fake
    These badges are very rare but an easy spot is check out the ribbons at the bottom of the wreath...Notice the gaps.
    The originals are closer together.

All the best
    Doug

It looks good to me. A late war all zinc badge with the integral rear set up, it's known as the type 'D' and is one of the rarest Fallschirmschützenabzeichen to be found today. Best wait for other input though before you go charging off, just in case......

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    It looks good to me. A late war all zinc badge with the integral rear set up, it's known as the type 'D' and is one of the rarest Fallschirmschützenabzeichen to be found today. Best wait for other input though before you go charging off, just in case......

Regards, Ned.
    Interesting take by Big Ned made me look again at this badge.
    Here are my conclusions.
    Have a look at the ribbon sections in the composite below.
    On the left (thread starter) you see the ribbons with a definite gap between them.
    To me this is a big no no as far as type 2 badges go. These type 2 (I only have two types of zinc wreaths…1st one with the soldered on hardware and the 2nd type with the cast in hardware)
    Have a look at the type 2 pictured and you will see how tight the ribbons are together.
    This set me looking at all the type 1 badges and you will notice that the gap is the same as the one that started the thread….Mmmm
    Does this mean that what I and others consider the earlier examples with the soldered hardware actually mean that they came after the ones with the cast in hardware? Perhaps the cast in hardware broke more easily so was replaced by the stronger soldered examples…Hence the reason they are more common. (More research to carry out)

To conclude I must agree that this is a good badge with a variant wreath

All the best
    Doug

Fallschirmschützenabzeichen G H Osang, Dresden real or fake?
    Last edited by Saladin; 03-31-2016 at 01:44 PM.

Duplicate post
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fallschirmschützenabzeichen G H Osang, Dresden real or fake?  

Quote by Saladin View Post
    That is interesting Ned. It looks like one of the best copies I've seen of this one...Off to research the type D.

All the best
    Doug
    Hi Doug,

I may well be wrong, it's hard enough to find an original Osang Para of any type amongst a sea of fakes, especially when there is only a handful of original type 'D' badges that are known. Having said that, if this one is a fake it's a new one on me, as I've yet to see a copy of the type 'D' with the integral rear hardware, but things change rapidly in this game so it'll be interesting to find out! Regarding the gaps in the wreath binder being too wide, I think that the way the forum uploader works, it often "squashes" the photo's to a degree where they are distorted, certainly you'll never see a PAB that is the correct shape when looking on this forum, they always appear more "rounded" than they should be IMO.

It'll be interesting if a known fake using the integral set up can be found, after a quick look I've drawn a blank, but will keep looking.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post

It'll be interesting if a known fake using the integral set up can be found, after a quick look I've drawn a blank, but will keep looking.

Regards, Ned.
    Thanks Ned your very informed input is always good to read and sets me beavering away.
    These are rare badges.
    I have come across crude examples that were produced as far back as 2008 so the forgers have had plenty of time to practice their dark art.

Things that threw me off on this badge...
    Colouration. I was always led to believe that the wreaths on all Osang paras were very dark as per the regulations but this one looks very bright now in conclusion to this I have looked closely at the pictures and I am quite sure it has been photoshopped to make it look so bright which more than likely accounts for that really bright bird.
    The ribbon gap...I think I have concluded that question above.

I would like to see where it is for sale to see if there are any better pictures to work with.

All the best
    Doug

Quote by Saladin View Post
    Thanks Ned your very informed input is always good to read and sets me beavering away.
    These are rare badges.
    I have come across crude examples that were produced as far back as 2008 so the forgers have had plenty of time to practice their dark art.

Things that threw me off on this badge...
    Colouration. I was always led to believe that the wreaths on all Osang paras were very dark as per the regulations but this one looks very bright now in conclusion to this I have looked closely at the pictures and I am quite sure it has been photoshopped to make it look so bright which more than likely accounts for that really bright bird.
    The ribbon gap...I think I have concluded that question above.

I would like to see where it is for sale to see if there are any better pictures to work with.

All the best
    Doug
    Thanks Doug, I agree that it needs looking at more closely, the colouration of the wreath, especially on the reverse is cause for concern under the terms you mention. Likewise the lustre of the eagle also made me wonder if it might be a repro, but there are examples of Osang Para's that still retain a good amount of gilt finish.

Whether that occurs on tombak eagles or zinc, or even both though is something I don't know. As you say, it is highly likely these photo's have been edited to improve appearances, but the real thing needed here I believe is photo's that show the same integral hardware on a fake badge, but at the same time the rarity of this particular design type makes one suspicious as to it's pedigree. An interesting item indeed.

Regards, Ned.

?

Hi all...
    Thanks for all your feedback till now, interesting!!
    The first pic can be found here: A good Third Reich Paratrooper
    It is on an online auction site.

Then i have asked the auction house to send me a pic from the back and they did by using a cell-phone and send it to my own email account.
    So concerning the colour i assume that the second pic is more realistic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast