Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Fallschirmschützenabzeichen "GWL"

Article about: by Adrian From this picture alone Mike I wouldn't say it is an original badge. I agree Adrian.We need better pics to be sure.But i like the badge with the "C" on the pic.It looks t

Default Fallschirmschützenabzeichen "GWL"

Hi guys,

after a longer searching for a "GWL" Fallschirmschützenabzeichen,i could add this badge yesterday to my collection.It is the para type from "GWL" with the black zinc wreath.The eagle is made from Buntmetall.

Regards
    Joachim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fallschirmschützenabzeichen "GWL"   Fallschirmschützenabzeichen "GWL"  

Fallschirmschützenabzeichen "GWL"   Fallschirmschützenabzeichen "GWL"  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fallschirmschützenabzeichen "GWL"
    P
    Many

Default Re: Fallschirmschützenabzeichen "GWL"

Hello there,

Can I please see a closeup of the maker mark? There are VERY good fakes of this badge out there and I just want to be sure this is an earlier pre-die flaw badge.

William Kramer

Quote by all1knew View Post
    Hello there,

Can I please see a closeup of the maker mark? There are VERY good fakes of this badge out there and I just want to be sure this is an earlier pre-die flaw badge.

William Kramer
    Hi William,

yes you are right of course,that there are very good fakes around from this maker.Imo a textbook badge.But i can make later at the day,a closeup of the maker mark, when you need this.

Regards
    Joachim

Hello Joachim, I Definitely like your new GWL! Great pick up! To me, at least, the GWL's were among the highest quality badges made during the TR period.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Looks like a great example to me Joachim,nice detail with the classic "sunken" GWL rivets.Looks to have the owners initials scratched into the surface to!!Well done my friend.

Thank you guys for the kind words!

Regards
    Joachim

?

It looks like a very nice badge Joachim, and worth the long search for such a good looking example.

If someone can explain the die flaw and the timeline relating to it, it would be appreciated for reference.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hi Adrian,

thanks for your answer!Yes it`s always worth to wait for the "right" example.Regarding your question with the die flaw and timeline.I can only give you the info´s out from Tom`s great reference book about the para badges.

There are known three different types:

Type "A":Black Wreath-Maker Marked

Type"B":Black Wreath-Unmarked

Type"C":Silver Wreath-Maker Marked

I must pass with the timeline and chronology about the different types.I am sure,that Tom could explaine it very good.He is really a expert!

Thomas Previtera give in his book about the Luftwaffe badges the timeline between begin 1944 and end 1944 (one year) for the "GWL" Fallschirmschützenabzeichen.

Regards
    Joachim

Adrian,

In response to your specific question, here's what Thomas Durante has to say:

"Speaking of the flaw itself, it is in the recessed part of the rim of the mark. That means, it was a RAISED part on the die stamp itself. This makes even more sense that the thin, raised rim of the stamp got a chip in it (probably because it was so thin and striking hard metal will put a lot of pressure on it)."

I will go ahead and post a few images here that show both with and without the developed flaw, which would be on the left edge of the circle rim in the maker mark. We see authentic badges with and without the flaw.

I am not saying the Para badge posted is a reproduction, as it does looks good, but I would like to see its specific mark.

William Kramer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fallschirmschützenabzeichen "GWL"   Fallschirmschützenabzeichen "GWL"  

Attached Images Attached Images Fallschirmschützenabzeichen "GWL" 

?

Thank you William.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast