Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fallschirmschützenabzeichen S&L

Article about: Hello All, here is the latest addition to my FJ badges. I didn't have a badge made by S&L and this one looked in reasonable condition apart from the heavy polishing that has been carried

Default Fallschirmschützenabzeichen S&L

Hello All,
    here is the latest addition to my FJ badges.
    I didn't have a badge made by S&L and this one looked in reasonable condition apart from the heavy polishing that has been carried out on it.

So down to my research.
    I am fairly confident that the badge is pre May '45.
    Here are the conclusions I came to:
    Both rivets are nicely rounded and are in deep set holes in the wreath.
    The Hinge and hook are nicely soldered with that 'additional solder' for reinforcement.
    The hinge and hook are both the correct style for wartime produced badges.
    Both Zinc Eagle and Wreath are correct for wartime badges

Looking at the post war badges that S&L produced they seemed to have gone for a different style of riveting. Most seem to have been flattened so they are level with the rear of the wreath. I have come across a single example where the rivet stud has just been bent over to retain the eagle.
    There are a few variations of hardware but none come close to the original.

So what do you men think....A polished original or a hunk of junk.
    Any opinions welcomed

Fallschirmschützenabzeichen S&LFallschirmschützenabzeichen S&LFallschirmschützenabzeichen S&LFallschirmschützenabzeichen S&LFallschirmschützenabzeichen S&L

I must admit I can live with the contrasting silvers till a better one comes along
    All the best
    Doug

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fallschirmschützenabzeichen S&L
    P
    Many

A nice addition Doug!
    It does appear to have the war time tool mark on the pin as well.
    Ralph.
    Last edited by rbminis; 05-07-2015 at 01:05 AM.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Well pointed out Ralph I did forget to mention the tool mark on the pin in my summary

Cheers
    Doug

No problems with this one being wartime compatible, it's identical right down to the entire lack of finish as the unmarked zinc one shown on the GCA database.

BTW, the tool mark is not referred to as a "scrape" on war time produced badges as far as I'm aware, the post war production were known as having the "57(er) Scrape". To avoid confusion for new collectors here's a selection of war time accepted S&L pin tool marks.

And here's the post war so called "57(er) Scrape" seen on post war production badges.

Mixing the two up could prove unfortunate.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    No problems with this one being wartime compatible, it's identical right down to the entire lack of finish as the unmarked zinc one shown on the GCA database.

BTW, the tool mark is not referred to as a "scrape" on war time produced badges as far as I'm aware, the post war production were known as having the "57(er) Scrape". To avoid confusion for new collectors here's a selection of war time accepted S&L pin tool marks.

Mixing the two up could prove unfortunate.

Regards, Ned.
    True Ned, I will edit my response to reduce confusion.
    It is obvious that the mark is left as a result of the tooling that was used to bend the pin.
    Ralph..
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi Doug,

you picked up for sure no junck with this nice S&L badge. This type is attributed to the war time badges of S&L, as the guys said already here (full zinc type A) and the most common para badge out of the company from Steinhauer. Congrats for this badge!

Joe

What a great lot of knowledgeable input. Thank you all for taking the time to respond.
    Ned your summary of the 'tool marks' on the war time badges andthe 'scrapes' on post war examples is excellent information. It is really appreciated.

Just need to track a Juncker down now!

All the best
    Doug

its a nice one.

[QUOTE=big ned;1432134]No problems with this one being wartime compatible, it's identical right down to the entire lack of finish as the unmarked zinc one shown on the GCA database.

Hey Ned what is the GCA database you referred to?

Steve

Quote by No1canuck View Post

Hey Ned what is the GCA database you referred to?

Steve
    German Combat Awards
    Ralph.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast