Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Picked up in germany in 1977

Article about: I was stationed at Pinder Barracks, in Zirndorf, In Nurnberg from 1975 through 1978. While "junking", I found the following plate in excellent condition. I still have it to this da

steve verno
    ?

Default Picked up in germany in 1977

I was stationed at Pinder Barracks, in Zirndorf, In Nurnberg from 1975 through 1978. While "junking", I found the following plate in excellent condition. I still have it to this day. Anyone have an ideas on what it is??? There is nothing on the front of the plate. The back has an eagle and swastica and the date of 1941

Also, in 1977, went to class VI (liquor) store on base and bought a bottle of Delva Rum from 1944. Bottle is half full due to evaporation over the years. Still potent I believe after almost 64 years in the bottle. Learned this was part of the Rommel Afrika Corps liquor found in casks in caves in Africa. Bottled and given to soldiers during ww2 and was still available in 1977 at xmas time. Bottle went all over the world with me during my 20 years in service.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Picked up in germany in 1977   Picked up in germany in 1977  

Picked up in germany in 1977   Picked up in germany in 1977  

Last edited by steve verno; 07-11-2008 at 12:19 AM.

2. # ADS

Lightbulb Re: Picked up in germany in 1977

Picture isn't showing. You have to put the link between this tag:

[img][/img]

You can also upload pictures for free on the site...

Default Re: Picked up in germany in 1977

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum!

Your pics are not showing up. If you are having problems, see "FAQ" top right of this page for help in uploading pics.

Cheers, Ade.

Post Re: Picked up in germany in 1977

Now it's obvious that me and Adrian have no social live...

BTW: Welcome to the forum, we seem to have alot of new members lately...

steve verno
    ?

Thanks for the welcome and the help

Steve Verno
    SFC US Army Retired
    Pinder Kaserne 1975 - 1978
    Nurnberg, Germany

Thumbs up Re: Picked up in germany in 1977

That's an original Luftwaffe plate that you got there. I sold a butterknife last year who had the same markings on it FL UV...

Your plate is from a luftwaffe mess hall.

Bob Hritz

Hi Steve, I am pleased that you managed to get the pics posted OK.

Nick (speak for yourself ) and Bob have correctly identified the Luftwaffe plate.

The bottle of Rum caught my attention and is an interesting item. The Allied label is a nice touch. Is there a date on the label? I know you mentioned 1944, but the DAK ceased to exist in 1943. I was looking at the "RAAC" on the label. I was initially tempted to attribute these initials to the "Royal Australian Armoured Corps" given the Aussie involement in the North African Campaign, but this would not fit. The "Royal" title was not added until 1948, so back to the drawing board with that idea... But still a great item.

Cheers, Ade.

steve verno
    ?

In December of either 1976 or 1977, I went to the military liquor store in Nurnberg (Kalb Housing) and they were selling these bottles of liquor. I bought 2 bottles of rum, and 2 bottles of wiskey. I opened one bottle of rum in 1978 to check it out. I gave the wiskey to my dad. I have this single bottle of rum left. The bottle is half full and I have plastic wrapped around the top of the bottle to keep it from leaking while it is on its side and to keep air outto prevent any more evaporation. The pictures tell the story behind the liquor. I have no clue about the initials or anything else about the rum. Ive had it now for about 31 or 32 years and it survived my moves around the world. Thanks much

Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Picked up in germany in 1977   Picked up in germany in 1977  

Picked up in germany in 1977  

steve verno
    ?

Regarding the Lutwaffe plate. I was stationed at Pinder Barracks from Decmber 1975 to Decmber 1978. Pinder Barracks was located in the small town of Zirndorf. IT is believed it was a Luftwaffe barracks built by Field Marshall Goering as part of the defense of Germany. If this was a Luftwaffe kassern, and I found this plate in the trash of someone in Zirndorf, it is possible the owner may have been stationed at Pinder during WW2. They also threw away a nice Zeiss Camera I still have, iin excellent condition.