Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

1934 dated zeltbahn

Article about: Gentlemen, I'm attaching some photos of my 1934 dated zeltbahn, just purchased in London. It is marked "Weber & Ott, Aktiengesellschaft, Forchheim (Bayern), 1934". A quick Goog

Default Re: 1934 dated zeltbahn

Thank you so much, Tom. Your site is amazing, my friend. Any suggestions where I can get original buttons?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Quote by Spitfire1940 View Post
    just purchased in London. It is marked "Weber & Ott, Aktiengesellschaft, Forchheim (Bayern), 1934". A quick Google search shows that Weber & Ott AG, a textile and clothing company, are still in business, currently located at Konrad-Ott-Str. 1, 91301 Forchheim, Bayern. Forchheim is in Upper Frankonia, in Northern Bavaria. I would appreciate your thoughts on a couple of things: as you will see, most of the aluminum/zinc buttons have been replaced with dark brown hard plastic or bakelite buttons. Should I replace these with original zelt buttons? (they seem to be available on the web). Or could the plastic buttons be wartime or pre-war? (I have read that the Russians used bakelite or plastic buttons). Second, one of the photos shows the remains of what I presume is a regimental stamp. There's also a "2 K " near the maker stamp. Can anyone make out the details? I am assuming that 1934 dated zelts are quite early and somewhat scarcer than wartime dated ones?
    Best wishes,
    John

Hello John,
    Yes, a 1934 dated Zeltbahn is an early example as they were produced with a camo scene from 1931 to 1945.
    Yes it is scarcer than the standard wartime Zeltbahn, but they're many wartime variants and some are far more scarcer than a good condition early Zeltbahn....(brown/orange camo Zelt, infrared carbon spotted Zelt, even rotated buttonholes Zelt...).
    The most early example in my collection is 1935 dated and the most early example i've seen so far was 1932 dated.

The germans also used bakelite buttons for some Zeltbahnen produced between 1943 and 1945. So far i do have and have seen grey, red and light brown bakelite buttons. early examples have aluminium buttons, wartime examples have zinc, iron or bakelite buttons (scarcer).

Concerning the unit stamp...it looks like 1./Pi 17 for 1. Kompanie, Pionier Bataillon 17 (created in october 1934)
    Lexikon der Wehrmacht - Pionier-Bataillon 17

(the 2. K may indicate a transfer from 1. Kompanie to 2. Kompanie !?)

This one deserves a buttons restoration, as Tom said, dont buy swiss buttons....post them first on the forum if you find some...

Thanks
    PREUSSENS GLORIA

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Dear JPhilip, I am most thankful for your post. It is incredibly helpful and informative. I have had flu for several days, and your post has made me feel significantly better! Who needs Robitussin when you have JPhilip!!! Many thanks, mate, John.

What about these buttons? From Bunker Militaria:

Original WWII German Unused Zeltbahn Buttons - Set of 10: Bunker Militaria

John

Hello John,
    Thanks for your comment...those buttons are genuine german WWII Zeltbahn ones...
    How many of them do you need ?
    In theory, you need aluminium buttons for a 1934 dated Zelt...
    Thanks
    PREUSSENS GLORIA

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12