Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2 Tornisters with quite a surprise!

Article about: So I decided to get myself a Tornister/Affe and found a nice offer for these two on kleinanzeigen, so I went ahead and bought them, one is for a fellow reenactor. Both are dated 1940 and com

Default 2 Tornisters with quite a surprise!

So I decided to get myself a Tornister/Affe and found a nice offer for these two on kleinanzeigen, so I went ahead and bought them, one is for a fellow reenactor.
    Both are dated 1940 and come with all straps present, only that the black one has had the straps modified, but you can still war it as a backpack.
    I bought both for 65€ including shipping, thinking that would be a great price for 2 good condition Tornisters right from an old attic, turned out to be far more than great though!
    When I got the package I immediately wanted to see what kind of strap was on top of one of the Tornisters, low and behold, a complete German mid-late war chin strap in mint condition!
    And then I found another one!
    As you could imagine I could not believe my shock either!
    Especially since I've been after a good chin strap for some time now.
    I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on these items
    Luis
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2 Tornisters with quite a surprise!   2 Tornisters with quite a surprise!  

2 Tornisters with quite a surprise!   2 Tornisters with quite a surprise!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 2 Tornisters with quite a surprise!
    P
    Many

I think I will also post the chin straps in the helmet section,too.
    Here are also more pictures
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2 Tornisters with quite a surprise!   2 Tornisters with quite a surprise!  

MAP
    ?

Nice bonus!!!!! If the seller knew I'm sure they would have been removed
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

An amazing find !! Both straps appear to be the same RBN#. They might have been installed wartime
    D.

You did very well with these Luis, great additions!

TWS
    ?

That is a steal of a deal! Fantastic to find two nice helmet chinstraps with the Tornisters. I myself am looking for a nice condition late-war chin strap for a very nice late war M42 helmet I have that is missing the chin strap. I wish I had your luck!
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Thank you gents, all very much appreciated
    David, I would also guess that they were left as they were like this in 1945 and just recently rediscovered. When I got them, both straps were still attached to the Tornister, one on the side and one on the top.
    The seller said he found it in his grandpa's attic.
    The Tornister with black straps also still had a cardboard box in it so it would keep its shape!

TWS, you never know, maybe the next thing you buy "out of the woodwork" will also contain some surprises , you never know your luck.
    Though in the case with eBay Kleinanzeigen it is also down to the fact that I have "cracked the code" so to speak as on this site the search function only looks for the exact words you type in, nothing else, so people that know put many buzzwords into their titles whereas people who don't.. well, don't.
    So you have to adapt the mindset of the unknowing person trying to sell some crap they found in the attic, as was the case here, the ad was just called "Armeerucksäcke" (army backpacks) and therefore could ONLY be found by using this exact search term meaning that this ad had very little traffic, all of 5 views I think
    Oh no, now I've told you my secret to finding stuff for cheap! Ah, who cares

Now that I've got the chinstraps I just need a proper helmet to fix them to, still looking for a nice ND helmet, maybe I'll get lucky.. Actually saw someone sell a M35 SD Heer reissue with chin strap and complete liner on kleinanzeigen recently for 90€! But I wasn't fast enough
    At least I got this to compensate with

Enough babbling for now.
    Luis

Great buys Luis! These look to be in excellent condition.

And I love the search strategy. Sometimes if you are looking on eBay for example and put in German Steel Helmet you will also find helmets that you wouldn’t find if you just searched under M42/M40/M35 Helmet etc.

Andrew

TWS
    ?

That's a great strategy Luis. If I still lived in Germany you would have some competition! However, since I don't I'm no threat.

I have had a couple instances of finding "extras" but not as significant as your find here.

I once found a Strassenbahn Fahrkarte in the cuff of a tunic and it was to the streetcar system of the city in which that unit was stationed.

Another time I purchased a virtually unissed/unworn tunic and some material scraps (trimmings) of the wool used to make the tunic were in the internal chest pocket.

Another time I found a compass in a map case that I didn't know was there when I bought the case.

That's about all I can think of for now.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Hello,
    You've made a great deal, congrats...hidden surprises in recently bought items are so brilliant.
    Laurent told me once a story he personaly witnessed at our local flea market in 1997 or 1998.
    Several collectors, including Laurent, were talking (most probably arguing around an item) close to a table where there was nothing military related on. One of the guys handled a small civilian cloth bag while talking to the others and asked the owner for the price of the bag, it was 20 Frs only (around 3 euro). He bought it and when asked why by the others, he said, i need a small bag for fishing, this one is nice and vintage.
    On the way back after the market, while walking to the cars with the others, he opened the bag and in a small internal pocket he found a WSS helmet cover, well folded and in used condition (but not abused). It took 3 seconds to one of them to determine that the item was 100% correct.
    IMO original items shouldn't be used for reenacting. At least give your friend the M39 with saboted straps
    Thanks
    Last edited by JPhilip; 08-22-2019 at 12:32 PM.

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast