Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Austrian MG42 lafette - thoughts?

Article about: Hi My first post on here, so looking forward to the interaction cool By way of background, I recently purchased a 1942 dates MG42 lafette, used postwar by the Austrian army, complete with le

?

Default Austrian MG42 lafette - thoughts?

Hi

My first post on here, so looking forward to the interaction cool

By way of background, I recently purchased a 1942 dates MG42 lafette, used postwar by the Austrian army, complete with leather pads. The world of the MG42/34 lafette seems very murky and from my research it appears postwar mainly Norway, Austria and Yugoslavia carried on using these, often with varying degrees of refurbishment (with the Yugo ones being the most extensive and Austria the least). What are people's thoughts, are the Austrian ones the best lafette's to get? Many of the ones I see for sale seem to be ex-Yugo with cloth pads, even if the seller/owner claims they are authentic. From the history I have read, apart from battlefield (rusted) relics, it is impossible to find a clean, untouched, genuine Third Reich lafette for sale/ownership.

Thoughts/feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Austrian MG42 lafette - thoughts?
    P
    Many

I think Austrian is the best in post war, the Yugo have one different color and other marking.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

It would be nice to see a picture of the mount!

?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    It would be nice to see a picture of the mount!
    Sure - see attached.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Austrian MG42 lafette - thoughts?   Austrian MG42 lafette - thoughts?  

Austrian MG42 lafette - thoughts?   Austrian MG42 lafette - thoughts?  

Austrian MG42 lafette - thoughts?  

?

Hi

Would love to hear any feedback/comments on the pics of my lafette that I have posted above.

Regards

John

Thanks for the pictures. I don't actually know anything about these mounts, but its a very nice looking piece of kit. Are you lucky enough to have an Mg42 to put on it?

Nice Lafette as far as i can see...... still looking for one for my MG42.....

If you want to read more, have a look at Mauser slings and MG34 Lafettes explained in detail at.

Reidar has written a nice article about the Lafette 34 & Lafette 42

Tom

?

Yes, I read Bergflak's website extensively after purchasing my lafette (the best resource anywhere I could find on this topic) - partly that led to my first post, above, because I wanted to get people's views 'in the know' on this forum about the different MG42 lafette's available today that have been handed down in various guises by the post-wear armies using them. As I said above, most/all now on the market are ex-Yugo, according to Bergflak the Norwegian ones are the most unsullied, with just a paint job and leatherette covering the original pads, whereas the Yugos seemed to go in for dismantling and refurbishment, which is hy so many around today are mash-ups. The Austrian ones, like mine, also look good, but there is debate about whether new tool boxes and front mounts were fitted, as well (why, no one seems to know).

Looking forward to further discussions on this