Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bayonet Frog Makers Marks

Article about: I was wondering if anyone knows of any good websites or even books that give Bayonet frog makers marks. I also would like to know what people look for when they are trying to spot fake frogs

Default Bayonet Frog Makers Marks

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good websites or even books that give Bayonet frog makers marks. I also would like to know what people look for when they are trying to spot fake frogs. I've seen a few with some questionable stitching on them and I was wondering what I should be looking for.
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bayonet Frog Makers Marks
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Bayonet Frog Makers Marks

Hi Soalebm , i use my eyes and nose , you can usually see when something has age , it is an element that cant be faked completely , also smell the leather , really old leather has no aroma !

cheers Al

something that may, or may not been known, is that leather retains its smell for approx 15 years, after that, nothing.

So it's worth bearing in mind, next time you pick up a piece of leather and sniff it

That is great advice I never thought to try that but it makes sense. Also what made the germans attach "cavalry loops" to some frogs and not to others. Should I be afraid of frogs with loops?
    Attached Images Attached Images Bayonet Frog Makers Marks  Bayonet Frog Makers Marks  Bayonet Frog Makers Marks 

?

frogs with hilt loops were made for the cavalry , for obvious reasons that is a nice looking frog Soalebm

Al

Ok that makes sense I thought it was just a nickname for that style of frog and that any branch could have been issued them. I saw one at a gun show for sale that had the loop and was marked as if a member of a flak unit owned it, I was skeptical.

?

i believe that marines were issued them also , so it is possible for a flak unit to have them .

Al

This type of frog later became universal issue.

Cheers, Ade.

Hello,
    Originally the bayonet frog without loop was made for non mounted troops and the one with loop was meant for mounted troops. In 1939, the frog with loop became general issue for all branches of service. Due to the maker's inertia, some frogs without loop were still made until 1943 at least. Apparently this loop may have been a problem for the soldiers as many of them simply cut it off. Soalebm, the one you show in this thread is a genuine example. I do own two examples from the same maker. First one is 1942 dated with a loop, second one is 1943 dated without loop!
    As far as i know, the only late war variant produced without loop is the one made of breadbag strap cloth with a leather front part.
    thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Thank you very much for the information. There is not a lot out there about the codes and logos used on leather products

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast