Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

bmj DF 10x 50 Field Glasses

Article about: Hello all,I just picked up a pair of 10x 50 binoculars I was hoping to learn a little more about them.The markings appear to be bmj 590045 and DF 10 x 50 the paint appears to be original and

Default bmj DF 10x 50 Field Glasses

Hello all,I just picked up a pair of 10x 50 binoculars I was hoping to learn a little more about them.The markings appear to be bmj 590045 and DF 10 x 50 the paint appears to be original and period.The black case came with them but unfortunately the lid was torn off.Oh well you cant win them all! My knowledge of optics consists of the $5.00 2.75 plastic reading glasses I use so I could really use some help with this one! All comments welcome Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture bmj DF 10x 50 Field Glasses   bmj DF 10x 50 Field Glasses  

bmj DF 10x 50 Field Glasses   bmj DF 10x 50 Field Glasses  

bmj DF 10x 50 Field Glasses   bmj DF 10x 50 Field Glasses  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement bmj DF 10x 50 Field Glasses
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Lol...I use 2.25 and they cost me $10.....

I just love your photos. Eye candy. One day I hope to be able to take photos like this but I guess I need to stop spending my $ on this hobby and instead save up for a decent camera

as for the field glasses, I will defer to others...but they look great
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Can anyone tell me if the tan finish was considered "camouflage" or was it used specifically for Africa or the Mediterranean areas? and also is there any way to date them by the serial numbers? there seems to be a lot of confusion about manufacture dates.Thanks,Geoff

No particular significance to the tan paint-despite the stories of DAK, etc. It was simply the late war ordinance color paint. The "bmj" code signifies that they were produced by Hensoldt & Sohne Optische Werke A-G, Wetzlar, Germany. A good quality pair of field glasses in a higher desirable power.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

William is correct about the paint and maker.
    These are a spectacular set of binos
    - Congrats.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

unfortunately bmj (hensoldt) left no real records as to dates,hensoldt himself was an ardent Nazi and had most of their records destroyed before the allies got to them,they have to be around 43-44 mark though as the dunkelgelb paint was widely used on binos from that date,the earlier hensoldt roof prism binos where leatherette covered then no covering at all,just black painted then they changed to the tan rough finish after that they were just tan painted,optically wise they are a joy to use,they also made two different sizes in this model.