Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Bullet damaged canteen

Article about: Hello everyone. Is this a medical canteen or a 1-litre Mountain Troops canteen? I think medical canteens had different straps and a shoulder strap, so this may be for Mountain Troops? I'm ne

Default Bullet damaged canteen (1 litre Mountain Troops canteen?)

Hello everyone. Is this a medical canteen or a 1-litre Mountain Troops canteen? I think medical canteens had different straps and a shoulder strap, so this may be for Mountain Troops? I'm new to this site and, indeed, new to this area of WW2 collecting (from WW1). I have a very small collection so far, with not much that would be of interest to advanced collectors. Nevertheless here's a photo or two of a battle-damaged canteen. Perhaps someone can kindly help me to identify exactly what type of canteen it is? The bakelite cup is broken, and the entire piece has a very salty appearance. The leather is quite stiff, so I have not removed the cup the check for dates. Personally I love battle damaged items, and would love to see anything you would like to upload. This is an extraordinary site and I'm learning a great deal. Thanks to all of you for the time and effort.Bullet damaged canteenBullet damaged canteenBullet damaged canteen
    Best wishes.
    Last edited by Spitfire1940; 01-20-2013 at 09:11 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bullet damaged canteen
    P
    Many

Default Re: Bullet damaged canteen

Welcome to the site. i like your canteen. a good relic

?

Welcome aboard friend.

Thanks, Steve. Do you know if this a medical issue canteen, or a 1-litre canteen for Mountain Troops? I think it's the latter, but would like confirmation.
    Last edited by Spitfire1940; 01-20-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Hello,
    It is not a Sanitäter canteen which had a completly different harness system....it's just a regular 1 liter canteen, used by mountain troops and by many others late war...
    The problem with such an item is that you'll never know if the bullet was shot by an allied soldier before the end of the war or by some kid trying a gun in 1953...just a question of faith....
    It is an interesting piece...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Thank you, JPhilip. I appreciate that information. I also appreciate your time and effort as a moderator. Great site - I am delighted to have discovered it. I am really impressed by the willingness of experts to share their knowledge. Best wishes,
    John

I wish that canteen was mine