Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Canteen Find...?

Article about: Well, I believe it is a German WW2 (or associated canteen). Will post pics in a bit, but here are a couple details. Wool covered aluminum with leather strap lengthwise around the canteen. No

Default German WW2 Canteen Find...? Photos Added

Well, I believe it is a German WW2 (or associated canteen). Will post pics in a bit, but here are a couple details. Wool covered aluminum with leather strap lengthwise around the canteen. None of the leather sewn to the wool. Top of stopper marked "M6/1/40" and the front of the neck has the standard "RZM in a double circle mark over M6/1 over 39 ." But I had to carefully pull back the wool to see below the RZM circle as it is tight to the neck.

The buttons on the wool have the four pointed star pattern that I am used to seeing on WW1 Trench Knife sheath straps. buttons are made by "PRYM." The hanger is marked "HD over 39."

Pics tomorrow, but any thoughts?

Thanks!
    - Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canteen Find...?   Canteen Find...?  

Canteen Find...?   Canteen Find...?  

Canteen Find...?  
    Last edited by MikeS0000; 08-21-2011 at 08:40 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Canteen Find...?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Canteen Find...?

Sounds like typical co called political canteen, RZM markings bring in mind SA, NSDAP or some other organisation related. Most of it produced in 1939, the stopper (do you mean screw cap?) in 1940, so it's WWII alright. I believe you can also find out which factory stands behind the RZM marking M6.

Well, M6 stands for aluminium product, 1 is makers code, but I cannot find the list of makers for M6 anywhere

Thanks gnadenlose! Added some photos. The finish on the aluminum is interesting. High polish at the top and a brushed look from the shoulders down. Forgot to add, RZM Stamp inside wool cover near buttons and other illegible stamps.

Best regards!
    - Mike