Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A donation to the Channel Islands Military Museum in Jersey

Article about: So,there I was sitting at my the desk in my museum minding my own business when a car appears outside the door. I went outside to see who it was and there was a little old chap who I have kn

Default A donation to the Channel Islands Military Museum in Jersey

So,there I was sitting at my the desk in my museum minding my own business when a car appears outside the door. I went outside to see who it was and there was a little old chap who I have known for years. About 30 years ago he told me about a German tool chest that he had. He had been given it by his father who had been given it by the German soldiers who were billeted across the way from his farm. On Liberation Day (9th May 1945) a couple of the Germans asked if his father would like the tool chest and having said yes, it was left in his yard. I asked the old boy every now and again if he'd part with it but he was never too keen. Anyway a while back I bumped into him and out of the blue he said that he wanted me to have the tool chest. He had had it for nearly 70 years and his son was not interested in it, so he decided to give it to me.
    Its certainly heavy, and its nearly complete and hopefully I will be able to find some of the missing items so it can be completed. The photo's were taken of it as delivered, I will give it a good clean and get it on display in the museum as soon as possible.
    If anyone has a similar box and know what I am missing then please let me know. I know theres 2 wrenches, an oil can and a hacksaw missing as well as a small handful of other bits. I did smile when I saw that the remaining hacksaw blade was all maker marked and dated.... only the Germans.
    Anyway, its not every day, or month or year that things are donated to the museum so this was a great start to the week.
    All the best from Jersey,
    D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A donation to the Channel Islands Military Museum in Jersey   A donation to the Channel Islands Military Museum in Jersey  

A donation to the Channel Islands Military Museum in Jersey   A donation to the Channel Islands Military Museum in Jersey  

A donation to the Channel Islands Military Museum in Jersey   A donation to the Channel Islands Military Museum in Jersey  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A donation to the Channel Islands Military Museum in Jersey
    P
    Many

?

Congrats!!~!! A Very nice Gift!!~! Should look very good in your Museum, What a great piece of local history, and something I have never seen before.

Dean O
    Canada

Hi Dean,
    I have seen a number of different boxes and normally empty or with lots missing. This one is really nice and should clean up ok.
    all the best,
    D.

Very nice friend! And so complete. Happy for you....
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Congratulations on such a fine score...Your unique contributions to the Forum never fail to amaze me...!
    cheers, Glenn

A great and unusual find, i'm very pleased for you!

Thanks, its always nice to find new bits for your collection whatever stage your at.
    D

great item to have.

What was the designation on the lid that was erased? Looks like it may have beeen Werkzeug??? NH

Hi Neil,
    Yes unfortunately the wording was removed as was common practice by those locally who kept German boxes. It said Werkzeugkasten 2 on it, which may show up a little better once cleaned although its well chipped away at.
    D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast