Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

DRK medics pouch

Article about: Hi all, I just bought a neat black leather, pre-war DRK sanitater pouch WITH contents! Roughly 4" tall, 6 ½" wide and 3" thick. Marked for the DRK Sanitatslager at Babelsberg

Default DRK medics pouch

Hi all,
    I just bought a neat black leather, pre-war DRK sanitater pouch WITH contents! Roughly 4" tall, 6 ½" wide and 3" thick. ( these are the sellers photos )
    Marked for the DRK Sanitatslager at Babelsberg and the ‘33’ may be a date although there are ones seen with ‘10’ on them so maybe it is a stores number?
    it is not marked 'L' or 'R' so I'm guessing there wasn't a need for a second pouch at the medical camp?
    DRK medics pouchDRK medics pouchDRK medics pouchDRK medics pouchDRK medics pouchDRK medics pouch

Anyway, I like the story attached to an item almost as much as the item itself and a little research has revealed one associated with this.... hope you will indulge my imagination? As pointed out, the stamp reads DRK Sanitslager ( German Red Cross Hospital camp ) Babelsberg. This town is now called Potsdam-Babelsberg, is 20km south west of Berlin, and is the largest district of Potsdam, capital of Brandenburg, Germany ( the name change happening in 1938 )

Potsdam – where on March 21, 1933 Hitler “deferentially” bowed as he shook the hand of Reich President Paul von Hindenburg while privately wishing that "the old reactionary" would hurry up and die as soon as possible. The old man finally did succumb to cancer on August 2nd the next year and Hitler held a referendum two weeks later, in which the German people were asked if they approved of him merging the two offices of Chancellor & President. The Ja (Yes) position amounted to 90% of the vote and Hitler was “home & hosed” as it were….

DRK medics pouch

The photo shows Hitler bowing deferentially as he shakes hands with Reich President Paul von Hindenburg who is dressed in the uniform of an imperial field marshal. Photo by Theodor Eisenhart.

Potsdam – where the Babelsberg Film Studio was located - the oldest large-scale film studio in the world, producing films since 1912.
    From 1933 to 1945, around 1,000 feature films were made in the studios under the direction of Hitler's propaganda chief Joseph Goebbels including Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will and the anti-Semitic propaganda film Jud Süss (The Jew Süss), shot in 1940.

DRK medics pouch DRK medics pouch

Hundreds more, including Fritz Lang's Metropolis and Josef von Sternberg's The Blue Angel were filmed there. More recent productions include V for Vendetta, The Bourne Ultimatum, Valkyrie, Inglourious Basterds, Cloud Atlas, The Grand Budapest Hotel and The Hunger Games.

Potsdam – where the Potsdam Conference was held (17 July to 2 August 1945 ) at which Truman, Churchill and Stalin met to decide the future of Germany and post-war Europe in general and to flesh out the terms of the surrender of Japan. A fitting end to the silent treachery Adolf plotted 12 years earlier!

DRK medics pouch

So there you go – a lot of history reflected in a smallish object! ….
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DRK medics pouch
    P
    Many

?

Nice! Got a brown leather one with no contents. I love Field Gear! Oh if these items could tell stories right? Thanks for sharing the data with us Dan!
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

i didn`t know the pouches was marked "L" or "R". did they always use two?
    anyway, nice item and the following facts : )
    Stig

Quote by bittaker View Post
    i didn`t know the pouches was marked "L" or "R". did they always use two?
    Wartime pouches were brown, marked L & R ( links und recht ) and WaA marked. JP & Tom can confirm this - DRK may have been different??

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "