Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Early 'Y' straps what are they??

Article about: I bought these 'Y' straps quite cheaply - they have that early leather look and all the correct stitching and 2nd pattern metal hooks and auxiliary straps. Trouble is, the rear strap has a s

Default Early 'Y' straps what are they??

I bought these 'Y' straps quite cheaply - they have that early leather look and all the correct stitching and 2nd pattern metal hooks and auxiliary straps. Trouble is, the rear strap has a strange belt hook that I am unfamiliar with ...... any ideas? In the photos it is not correctly attached to the main big ring but when it is, that part looks correct - it is just the form of the hook that is not a normal one.

JPhillip - help me!!

Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early 'Y' straps what are they??   Early 'Y' straps what are they??  

Early 'Y' straps what are they??   Early 'Y' straps what are they??  

Early 'Y' straps what are they??   Early 'Y' straps what are they??  

Early 'Y' straps what are they??  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early 'Y' straps what are they??
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Early 'Y' straps what are they??

Hey Dan I did find a image of this style of belt hook while looking around the net the article was very vague but it did state that they were Czechoslovakian in origin.
    You may find this site of some interest has some excellent information concerning Y-Straps (Koppeltragegestell)
    MP44.nl - German Uniforms and Equipment - Y Belt

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early 'Y' straps what are they??  

Tom's site is very good Mark ( and he seems to be one of the experts on WAF ) but most "Czech" ones I have seen have the gasmask canister hook on them ( or a variant ). Also I thought Czech Y straps had the cross-hatched patterning to the leather? ... these don't.

I did read somewhere that late war straps used fittings from occupied countries ( hence the stamped hooks etc..... )
    Thanks for the comments,
    Cheers, Dan

Hi Dan, the basic straps themselves are original. However, it is quite common for the short rear strap to go missing for some unknown reason and these do get replaced. A common thing to find is post war Austrian rear straps added to them.

I cannot add any info on the actual strap you have.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks Ade, so the back strap is Austrian? How do you know it is post war?

No Dan, no, I don't recognise yours.

But these often get replaced with Austrian ones.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Ok, thanks. Maybe jphillip knows?

?

Dan I have been known to be wrong a time or two before I could only find one reference to this style of hook .
    It will be most interesting to find out more information on this set of Y-straps and its components

Regards Mark K

Thankyou all - when they arrive I will investigate a bit closer!
    Cheers, Dan

Back strap is correct (late war) one which nicely belongs to this late war Y straps...

Nice set !! You should put the end strap through the metal ring..... do you have it already ??

Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast